Spike Camp

.257 bedding the action

eford

• View Profile
Re: .257 bedding the action
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 03:00:10 AM »
For what it's worth, my 257 Weatherby, 6.5 Creedmoor, 280 Rem and 300 Weatherby get muzzle velocities much faster than what the reloading manuals show BUT I use the maximum cartridge length the respective magazines allow. Technically, this can leave more room in the case for powder but load work up is the key. When the a great load is found, its time to shoot a lot of it. Nothing beats good practice.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
It's always good to keep extra reloading components around for a rainy day,  you will eventually find a use for those berger's :) I kid you not I have around 30 boxes of 25 caliber bullets some not even opened when I was testing loads for our 2 weatherby nation 257 rifles , finally settled on the 110 grain accubond.  One of these days maybe I'll get another 25 caliber and start testing all over again.  The bullet I really liked in my son's and my 257 is a 100 gr swift scirocco accuracy is under 1/2 ", but opted for an extra 10 more grains in the accubond with slightly less accuracy mainly for elk otherwise I would stick with the 100 grainers barne's or scirocco's for deer.   it's still a 5 " shooter with the 110's  @ 6 hundred yds.  I did have to free float and bed both of these rifles to get it where I trusted the consistency shot after shot.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:20:54 AM by zonie »

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »
I think I am going to take the don't mess with it advice. That is what I was trying to tell myself anyway, just needed more input from other shooters

Now what to do with the 600 berger bullets I have :o
Maybe when I rebarrel it will like the bergers again   ;D

Thanks guys for your input

Mike

Let me know I might buy a couple boxes from you if you decide to rid of them. My 25-284 likes those.
Man of vision