Spike Camp

Tropics

Tropics
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
Being O C D, the recent activity in the tropics makes me hope our friends on the east coast ARE aware! Sooner or later, the poop is going to hit the fan. All I need to complete my hurricane package is gasoline. It's like having insurance, Hope you never need it, till the devil collects his due! Been there, done that!  ;D

Re: Tropics
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
With 5 days of warning, NYC chose to ignore "Super Storm Sandy"  Not even a cat 1 Hurricane!  Worst storm experience? Agnes, even with 145mph recorded wind gusts here in 2004.CYA!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:46:08 PM by badsection »

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
Kevin we had one here back in the early 70's or so that really tore things up and I hauled emergency Telephone cable to Va on a lowboy and the Monacacy river flooded the I-270 bridge. The MD state police wasn't going to let me cross it on the way home but I told them to move the cars cause I was coming threw. The old U model Mack was treading water that day since the river was coming over the deck of the bridge.
Since you mention Agnes I have to tell you I was out running the streets in Frederick in my boat rescuing people from the flood waters including a boat full of fireman who got stranded on a bridge wall when their under powered boat was swept out from under them in the fast current and they became lodged on top of the wall. I still have the News Paper photos of me in my boat cruising the streets.
One of the main reasons I don't live near the coast. I still get the winds and rain but not as bad since the mountains help to shelter me.
TD

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:27:12 PM »
I made TONS of overtime from those storms. I have to say they don't hold a candle to 145mph recorded wind gusts here in 2004. It still amazes me at what flew in that wind! The nor'easters in Ocean City impressed me as to what floats and how damn cold it can be. 70mph winds, rain coming down sideways , 35F temps, exactly zero ways of staying dry and warm!  :)  I learned from experience!   I do think I saw that pic in the Frederick Times, T D! 

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
I'm glad I don't live where you do since there is no protection from what ever the storm wants to throw at you.
 145mph winds are not a force to be reckoned with.
TD

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
I lived in S. Florida since 1994, and was on base for every storm from that date until 2013 when I left.  I was also in S. FL for Andrew, and it doesn't matter how well you are prepared, there is always room for improvement. During Andrew's I learned that the grill was my best friend, and luckily we had a lake in the back that we used that water to flush the towelettes. :)  While I was in Homestead, I replaced the regular windows with impact hurricane windows, and of course never had a storm to test them out. LMAO!!!!!  No hurricanes where I live, but we do get the occasional tornadoes.   I think I'll take the hurricane vs. the tornado.  LOL!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »
Looks like a rain event for me in South Florida. Texas looks to take considerably more than rain! Observing the last minute idjits is half the fun. Booze is always in short supply here.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:54:08 PM by badsection »

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
As bad as Harvey has turned out to be, the hurricane season is far from over. There is a storm forming up in the Atlantic right now.  It's maybe 7-10 days away from me.   Only 2 things I need to do to be prepared, put up my and my 97 year old neighbor's storm shutters and a booze run! Hurricane prep lists include "cash".  Last time nothing was open to use the cash.  It did bribe the city workers to clean up our street first. LOL!   ;D

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
Looks like "Irma" will be a hurricane way before it gets anywhere close.  I will have to get my neighbor a "beware of dog" sign to repel looters and con men. The looters were pretty easy to spot. They would drive through slowly during the day looking for houses with no cars or obvious damage then return at night. The con men looked for easy targets, asking for a deposit for needed repairs like roof work or tree removal. 

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Just read where 14 looters have been arrested in Houston/Harris county.  Use a revolver outside, no brass to pickup!   :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
Bad, having "survived" Hurricane Andrew, I learned that it doesn't matter how prepared you are, there is always room for improvement.  And when you think you are ready, buy three times the amount of provisions you have.  I remember that the charcoal grilled became my best friend.  When I lived in FL, I always had my generator ready before the season, and 4 bottles of propane.   
I don't remember how long it took FEMA to get into SF, but it was days.  When the 82nd AB showed up, they were as bad as the looters.  A lot of them got Court Martial for looting the BX and commissary. 

I was part of a teleconference, and the AF rep said that this is going to be a slow process.  I don't remember how many semi's are heading into the TX & LA area.  Have several aircraft on alert, and a mobile hospital from San Antonio has been moved as well. 

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 03:57:45 AM »
Sound advice, PARA45!  I do have a gas stove and plenty of charcoal for the grill.  My generator and chain saw are ready! My water is from artesian wells, not from surface reservoirs as most here are. Plenty of bottled water, JIC. My concern is how the dog will cope. 25lbs of his food on hand!  I have enough freeze dried food for several weeks and 2 large containers of peanut butter.  The dog is ready to repel boarders! :)  Glad to hear the feds are stepping the response up! 

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:44:43 AM »
"Irma" just jumped from a tropical storm to a Cat 2 hurricane! I just picked up a gallon of Coleman fuel for my lantern and camping stove, JIC. WalMart had it. I hate that store!  :)

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 02:16:36 PM »
Cat 3 as of 1700!  "Irma" is my 97 year old neighbor's name.  I am as ready as I can be, JIC!  Made the booze store run!  1.75 liters of Irish, Bourbon and Canadian. no mixers!  Just need those cigars, PARA45! LOL!

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »
You should have a good supply of Cuban on hand already.
So is Irma going to make land fall?
TD