Spike Camp

Going elk hunting next week

Going elk hunting next week
« on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
Seems weird to be heading out this early, but we're heading out next week for archery elk.

I didn't draw squat for limited quote tags, so we're hunting in a general area. We usually get into elk, but it is tough to find a REALLY big bull there (340+).

Regardless, it should be fun to get out in September weather and hunt out of a wall tent.

Anyone else going out soon?
JK

Re: Going elk hunting next week
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »
Good luck!!! 2nd rifle Colo. cow elk tag for me, so I still have 2 months to go.
Doug

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »
We better see some pictures. Good luck and be safe.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »
I've never been elk hunting, but it's number 1 one my wish list. Good luck to you. Take lots of pictures.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
Good luck
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:27:53 AM »
A friend has a moose tag and I have a deer tag, muzzleloader season Colorado. Another friend took an antelope buck with his bow last Saturday

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:32:47 AM »
Good Luck on your archery hunt !

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 05:56:56 AM »
Good luck JK. Have you taken any elk before with a bow?
DosEquisShooter

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
Not this early, but next month archery opens up in my neck of the woods.  Now that I have a climber tree stand, I am planning on hunting the base for deer & hogs. :)
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
I actually killed my first 6-point bull with a bow several years ago. He hangs in the wall.

I really enjoy archery hunting for elk - generally happens in the rut. I have heard that the small bulls have started talking in my hunting area. I think we will get into some pre-rut calling.
JK

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
The elk I saw last week still had good velvet. I suppose it will be coming off pretty soon.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
Yeah...I have never seen any bulls with velvet in September where I hunt, but all things are possible.

To be honest...if I get something...great...but I am just in big need of some time afield. I just need to go to the woods for a couple of weeks for some nature time.
JK

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:05 AM »
Good luck on your hunt and take plenty of pictures.
TD

zonie

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
Good luck on the elk hunt,  Sept our elk in AZ are rutting.   My son is out this weekend with an over the counter archery deer tag.  He hung a trail cam on a small tree  then a bull elk decided to rub the tree and goofed up something, so no pictures came out.  He's been watching 3 bucks in that area so a trail cam might not be needed in this area.   Wife and I out scouting I think it was 3 weeks ago got within 30 ft of a small herd of rocky mtn big horn with 2 very nice heavy bodied  rams right at full curl got a bunch of pictures on the phone sent a couple to Roger.   Sunday 3 days ago went out scouting in a slightly different area saw 1 black bear about 30 yds away wife got a head photo,  he wasn't bothered by us, seen 6 or so javelina, a few muleys, and 200 to 300 elk in a guy's private pasture ,  didn't want to spook them watched them from a distance and got home and looked on google earth the canyon we may want to sit in for her cow hunt in late oct.    She will be in a hard cast after this Friday's surgery  on her ankle for this hunt after she pulled the ligaments and bone loose last November packing out  son's bull.  Really kind of weird we were sitting on the road making a turkey sandwich and picked up a pair of bino's and saw the rocky mtn big horn,  I thought they were desert bighorns for awhile until we decided to drive a little 2 track road to get closer and drove within 30 ft or so and they didn't spook,   right next to a 1000 ft canyon with a 600 ft shear vertical drop.  This year 1 tag issued for that unit,  I don't put in for them not really interested in shooting one.  Anyway those elk in the pasture with be broken into groups in a couple weeks when the rut starts, so by no means any guarantee she will get one.  Still undecided on what rifle she want's to use I suggested her goto 270 win or she may use the little 6.5 creedmoor she wacked a cow with a few years ago.  Very rough country so it's going to not be an easy hunt.  This is an area where you hunt low you see coues white tail, some elk, mule deer, javelina, lion, bear, quail, (coati) coatimundi, possibly a wolf, big horn sheep, other varmits and bobcats.  Hunt high more elk,  big coues, and all the rest.  Very cool unit to hunt ,  and I forgot rattle snakes.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:19:29 PM by zonie »

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
Good luck, we don't start elk hunting until Sept 15 here.

Rob