Spike Camp

Looking bleak

musicman

• View Profile
Looking bleak
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
This may be my last post for a while, but I may check in once or twice later this evening.  The Colorado River by my house is supposed to crest at 3 AM, at 49.1 feet.  By my estimates as per previous really high water over my lifetime, the water will be at my brick ledge at 47 feet.  Fortunately, both of my Sons came by.  One is an EMT, but he had some spare time before he goes full on 24 hours shifts, and the other is one of those Citizen Patrol Officers, that help out the local LEO at times like these; he got an hour off.  They came by, and we got most of my music gear upstairs.  What we could not, we have "up."  All my gun safes are downstairs, and it would have been a HUGE project to get all those guns upstairs, plus, I was running out of room.  Most all of the guns are stacked vertically either barrel up or down, so if they get wet, I will immediately be into those that were buttstock down, and see what I can do.  I do have a lot of synthetic stocked firearms though, so that may help.  Three of the safes are "up" on the pallets that they were shipped with, so that gives a few extra inches.  Erich duct taped the dickens out of the bottom and sides of the doors, but I do not put much faith in that.  My Fiancee is stranded with her 91 year old Dad.  The water at their house is at her steps.  She is in a frame house on blocks, with about two and a half feet to go; I think that she will have to be rescued by boat, and the house will get soaked.  I have one hope, maybe two.  From here on out, each extra foot of rise will take a huge amount of extra water.  All of the creeks and stuff are now about to come out of their third banks, so all that water is spreading out everywhere.  BUT, there is a massive amount of water coming down the river.  Second hope, is that a lot of this event has spread over two days, and maybe that river can move all of that water.  It is not like there was twenty inches of rain in one fast shower, and it is all coming down at once.  We shall see what happens.  I am thinking that when the water is about a foot to go, of shutting the power down to the house.  Praise the Lord, for He is Good, and His Mercy endures, forever.  I am but one of hundreds of thousands that is going to get hit; may He grant us all, a clear head, and the resources to get through this.  MM

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Looking bleak
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
Sorry to hear of your circumstance Musicman.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
Sad for sure, saying a prayer for Texas.

Wish we could take a few inches of rain for you, we have only had about 2 inches all year.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Good luck to you and everyone stricken by this terrible storm.  It might be too late but an idea for your safes is to silicone around the doors.  As for turning off the power that's a good idea however the main breaker stops the power from going to all the other circuit breakers, the power is still live coming into the house up to the main breaker.  Still it can't hurt to shut off the power and hopefully the water doesn't get that high inside. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Prayers sent for all musicman, it's not looking like the storm will move out soon enough to help.
Doug

badsection

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
M M, if you haven't done it already, get your important papers high and dry. Zip lock bags work!  Be careful of the electric! If you are throwing breakers, make sure you are insulated from them. DRY gloves!  If you need to save computer files, I have plenty of hard drive space available.  I will PM you my direct email + tel #. All your stuff can be replaced. What else can we do to help? STAY SAFE!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:44:56 PM by badsection »

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
Sorry to here your going to get hit by the high water. Prayers sent and stay safe.
TD

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
Damn Mark. Sorry to hear that.Looks like no end in sight. I am at work now after leaks were reported. Water over roads coming in at several places but nothing like you may have. Good luck. I will call you tomorrow to check and give a report to the guys here.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
Stay safe MM, remember items can be replaced. A life can not be. Prayers have already been sent

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Be safe MM, hope it all goes well.  We'll be thinking of you, and praying that the waters don't reach the inside of your house.  Stay safe!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »
MM, be safe and heed the warnings. Remember the saying, God helps those who help themselves.
DosEquisShooter

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Be safe music man , like you said things can be replace ! Best of luck!

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 08:05:41 PM »
I hope things get better soon for you guys down there
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
I hope that the hurricane pulling back South has given you some relief MM.I know conditions won't change immediately,but hopefully it will help.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Jameson

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
Be safe, and God bless.
JP