Spike Camp

Broken stock on .460 wby!

Re: Broken stock on .460 wby!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »
I am with you Brett.I have some great looking wood stocks that have some dings,dents,scratches.Still beautiful.Why have them if you can't use them?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
Yep you said it Roger. I don't buy or build good looking rifles to have them sit in a safe just to look pretty. I buy 'em to use them! A beautiful looking piece of timber on a rifle looks great in a photo with your hard won trophy. Sometimes the rifles make the picture much better.
Aussie gun nut.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
Yep you said it Roger. I don't buy or build good looking rifles to have them sit in a safe just to look pretty. I buy 'em to use them! A beautiful looking piece of timber on a rifle looks great in a photo with your hard won trophy. Sometimes the rifles make the picture much better.

Sorry for the confusion on caliber BB.  :o   Yes, I couldn't agree with you any more.  A beautiful rifle truly compliments the picture.  This is why I don't think I'll ever go anywhere where I can't use my own rifles.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
I am of the other opinion, I will use my nice fancy wood stocked rifles in almost any environment. Where I was just hunting had heaps of red dust that gets in everywhere and can act like sandpaper on wooden stocks that are held in cradles on my quad. But that didn't deter me one bit. Their easily repaired lol.   
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
My hunts are typically in 70+ humidity factors. I chose plastic, metal or laminate stocks. That's not to say I don't appreciate a beautiful wood stock.   ;D

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
Yes well to be completely honest I won't take my wood stocked rifles out when it is wet weather. I have certain wet weather rifles I use when that happens.
Physically I feel the heat very bad so never hunt in extreme heat and high humidity. But do a lot in dry extremely dusty environments. I have actually damaged my rifles more getting them out of over filled gun safes than I have using them in the field lol  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »
BB, I normally do not take my nicely stocked rifle into any rainy weather.  However, last time I was in SD, I had had my Weather Athena grade III in some nasty snow storm, but I after the hunt I gave her a nice clean.  My Athena never failed during the hunt, and I was extremely accurate (shocker, because I sock with a shotgun  ;D), and got my 3 pheasant limit every day.  ;D ;D

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 03:43:20 PM »
Oscar Haha maybe getting her soaked made you shoot better lol. Several times I have been out hunting with wood stocked rifles, been caught in a rainstorm and had everything soaked thru. It has never done any long term damage to my rifles either.   
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »
Give your wood stock a good coat of Tru-oil and be sure to have the barrel free floated and they will be just fine in bad weather.

I should ad that means taking the stock off the gun and oiling everything to seal the water out
Mike

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
Give your wood stock a good coat of Tru-oil and be sure to have the barrel free floated and they will be just fine in bad weather.

I should ad that means taking the stock off the gun and oiling everything to seal the water out

Yep that's it Bad. Have done that to all my wood rifles.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about your stock, Bret. Too little humidity is actually not good either, as wood should have some moisture content to function at its best. I believe around 7% is ideal in most cases. Super dry wood can crack a little easier. You may be able fix that stock, but I'd be inclined to see about getting a new one from Weatherby. Goes without saying, a .460 puts a hell of a strain on that area. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tiny, mostly invisible crack already there before the shot(s) that did this.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
Yes you are right Tex there may have been a slight unseeable crack there to start with as I bought the rifle 2nd hand. I did not see anything there though. My gunsmith said it didn't really crack thru into the meat of the stock but of course it would continue if left as is. He managed to pin it from the inside and it didn't look to bad. He is now refinishing it and fitting the custom engraved floorplate I had him do for me (pics to come).
I will get a price from Weatherby for a replacement stock too or I am going to get a custom made one in a nice light coloured piece of timber.
Aussie gun nut.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
On a heavy barreled rifle like a 460 it doesn't take much side pressure on the gun case or plastic hard case to break a stock in the wrist.If you can it's wise to take the bolt out of one while traveling.The bolt knob works as a pivot point.If stressed the weakest point is what's going to break.That's the wrist of the stock.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
Yep you sure are right there 224King. Actually it's the law here that the bolts must be removed from the rifle while travelling.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
Sorry about your problem with the 460... I must ask however, what creatures roam the bush in Australia that need a pill from a 460???  Granted, it will cure anything down there from a Tit Mouse to a T-Rex in a big hurry....   ;D ;D
"Every adversity is the seed of something of equal or better value"  W. Clement Stone; "The Success System that Never Fails".

I have never seen a Weatherby I didn't like.