Spike Camp

West QLD AUS Hunt report

BB340

• View Profile
West QLD AUS Hunt report
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:00:33 PM »
Not long ago returned from a great hunt in Western Queensland Australia. My partner and I had a 6 hour drive from my house to the property where we were spending a week with my mate, guide, outfitter, cook and taxidermist Danny Vanbrugh hunting for scrub bulls (feral ox), wild goats, feral rams and pigs.
The rifles I used were my .460 custom deluxe Mark V with 500gr TSX handloads, my .257 WBY Mark V deluxe with 115gr TSX handloads. Plus my vanguard Camilla in 7mm-08 with 140gr Remington Corelokt factory ammo.
The week was fantastic and I secured a fantastic scrub bull that may be the new No5 SCI record. The 1st shot from the .460 had him down within a few steps where I then gave him a insurance shot to the spine.
The next one was a very old bullock that had a great set of horns too. This old battler was in a very poor shape and we doubted he would of survived this coming summer's heat. Nonetheless he was one tough bugger! My 1st shot from the .460 broke both his front shoulders making him collapse head down but with backside still standing up. He remained like that for around 30 seconds then dropped. He was far from finished so I put a rear racking shot thru him. He lay completely down after that but then lifted his head and neck again. So I aimed for a neck shot but just missed the spine but it was enough to lay him flat. I then moved to a different position and put a finisher through his heat.
Both bulls were taken at no more than 50 yards.
The other critters I took were 3 great feral goats. Their horns were a 40", 41" and 43" one. I also took an old feral merino ram that had been running about on this property for quite a few years.
The .257 WBY with 115gr TSX's worked ok on a couple of goats and the ram. However the 115gr TSX's were a bit heavy for these animals. I knew they would of been but I was testing these loads in the field as I am using them for my plains game in South Africa next year.
The 7mm-08 Camilla performed flawlessly and knocked over a good billy and several pigs too.
All in all it was an absolutely fantastic trip.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:12:37 PM by BB340 »
Aussie gun nut.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Re: West QLD AUS Hunt report
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:26:15 AM »
It sounds like a wonderful hunt! It's nice you have the animals that give you an opportunity to use the larger calibers. Congrats!
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 05:41:00 AM »
Now that's a hunting trip!!!!

Congratulations

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »
That was a good hunt. Congrats.Looked like you had your little buddy with you also in a couple of picts.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »
Congratulations,  sounds like a perfect tuneup for your Africa trip!!!
Doug

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
That was a good hunt. Congrats.Looked like you had your little buddy with you also in a couple of picts.

Yep you are right Roger, I had my little mate. He is named Crazy. It was him that found the first billy for us as we had spooked them and the cagey old fella instantly retreated to the thick timber and scrub. We had then ridden past him and another younger billy on two different days but the scrub was that thick you couldn't see in there. Then on another day I let Crazy off and he instantly bolted into the thickest part and flushed them out so I could get a shot. It worked out quite well.
Aussie gun nut.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
Wow, What a trip! Great pictures too! How exactly did the 115s do? You mentioned they were a bit heavy, were the wounds they caused a bit dramatic for the size of animal you shot?

Also your story reminded me of another Australian hunter who has been posting a hunt on the internet lately. If you are familiar with Adam Greentree, you should check out the elk hunt he has been chronicling through pictures, short stories, and quick videos on social media lately. It's pretty good. His encounters with a curious grizzly bear are pretty legit.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »
Forgot to mention, good luck in Africa! There are a lot of members going on/gearing up for some amazing hunts on The Nation right now!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 04:25:39 PM »
Thanks DW, you are right, it was a great trip. As to the 115gr TSX's, they were zipping thru these thin skinned goats and not opening up much. But I had expected that as they are made for bigger critters. They still did a great job and I will continue to use them. A 100gr TSX would be better for these critters.
I will have no hesitation using these 115gr projectiles in Africa for Greater Kudu, Zebra, Nyala etc.
Aussie gun nut.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »
BB, what a sh*t hot hunting trip, congrats brother!  You took some amazing trophies.   Where are you going to Africa, and who are you hunting with?  I'll probably head back to SA in the next two years.  I have some unfinished business with some plains game, and my lovely wife wants to go back and said that our living room wall needs more dead stuff......I love this woman.  ;D ;D ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
BB, what a sh*t hot hunting trip, congrats brother!  You took some amazing trophies.   Where are you going to Africa, and who are you hunting with?  I'll probably head back to SA in the next two years.  I have some unfinished business with some plains game, and my lovely wife wants to go back and said that our living room wall needs more dead stuff......I love this woman.  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Oscar, your right it was a sh*t hot trip!
I will be hunting in the Limpopo province. Right up on the border of Zimbabwe and only about 40kms from Kruger national park. Will be hunting with Tshipise Safaris. Will be taking Cape buffalo bull(s) and cow. Then Greater kudu, Impala, Gemsbok, zebra, nyala, duiker, steenbok and baboons. Plus anything else that may happen across lol.
Also taking a 3 day tour of Kruger National Park half way thru the hunt as my girlfriend has always wanted to go there.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
WOW.That sounds like a great hunt coming up also.Good luck and keep us informed with a lot of picts and stories.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 02:18:42 AM »
WOW.That sounds like a great hunt coming up also.Good luck and keep us informed with a lot of picts and stories.

You bet I will Roger. Wish it was this year instead of next though. But time will fly by. Hopefully give me I will have a new house with trophy room by then. Or as I say, A Trophy room with a house attached lol.
Aussie gun nut.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
In the photo with the merino ram there is a pile of dirt the rams head is resting on. Is this just a natural pile of dirt or is this something an animal made and if so, what kind of animal?
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 04:06:09 PM »
In the photo with the merino ram there is a pile of dirt the rams head is resting on. Is this just a natural pile of dirt or is this something an animal made and if so, what kind of animal?

That is an old Termite mound. They are a small grub type thing that eats wood. They use their saliva and dirt to make these mounds in which to live. Some of these mounds up in the Northern Territory can reach 12ft in height.
Aussie gun nut.