Spike Camp

West QLD AUS Hunt report

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Re: West QLD AUS Hunt report
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »
In the photo with the merino ram there is a pile of dirt the rams head is resting on. Is this just a natural pile of dirt or is this something an animal made and if so, what kind of animal?

That is an old Termite mound. They are a small grub type thing that eats wood. They use their saliva and dirt to make these mounds in which to live. Some of these mounds up in the Northern Territory can reach 12ft in height.
So those mounds of different sizes behind you in the photo are create by termites? We have termites here also in the states.
What are the predominant predators for kangaroos and are they good to eat? I have also heard of the brown snakes you have and from what I’ve heard and watched they are extremely deadly.
I’m no different than 99% of hunters all over that enjoy watching and reading about animals of all sorts. The books and videos on Australia mentioned you have years when roads are so plentiful that driving on roads is like driving on ice. I’ve seen where you’ve had mice population explosions that decimated grain fields and storage facilities.
Do you have populations of furbearers that are trapped or shot and sold for mittens or clothes? Are dingo
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:07:30 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
In the photo with the merino ram there is a pile of dirt the rams head is resting on. Is this just a natural pile of dirt or is this something an animal made and if so, what kind of animal?

That is an old Termite mound. They are a small grub type thing that eats wood. They use their saliva and dirt to make these mounds in which to live. Some of these mounds up in the Northern Territory can reach 12ft in height.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
Yep those are all created by Termites.
The main predators of kangaroos would be the dingo and the introduced red fox. Kangaroos are a prolific breeder. A doe can have up to 3 joeys going at one time. She will have one that lives on the outside of the pouch and is old enough to eat grass but may also still require milk. Then she will have one that will live in pouch and starting to learn to hop but still only lives off milk. Then she will have a fetus still attached. She can then produce 3 different types of milk to feed them all. She can also stop the growth of the fetus for as long as she wants. So if say a drought comes along and there is not enough feed around, she will halt the growth of that baby until better times arrive. It is ridiculous how the animal rights activist try and tell other countries not to buy kangaroo products because they are in threat of becoming endangered. The truth of the matter is that there are that many of the buggers hopping around the place they are quite a big pest. They decimate our grain fields quite a lot. There are quite a few things made from the kangaroo and the meat is sold in supermarkets and exported overseas. It is quite a strong pungent meat that needs to be either say cooked on the rare to medium rare or done slowly in a casserole. We could do a lot more with our kangaroos if only the animal activists would stop with their lies and halting the growth of the industry. The number one repair job to motor vehicles is from hitting kangaroos. And they do some serious damage when one hits them too! Rabbits and pigs are also a major problem in destroying cropping grounds.
Yep mate we have some pretty serious snakes down here. I think we have have 9 of the top 10 dangerous snakes in the world. With the most dangerous being our Inland Taipan I think. The brown snake is quite a dangerous bugger and probably one of the most encountered of the dangerous snakes. That and his big brother the King Brown.

Aussie gun nut.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
Here in the states we have a huge problem with deer/vehicle collisions. We have more whitetail deer in more states than ever. The population explosion has to do with many variables but hunters have done more to increase the habitat and protect the species more than all the groups like Peta, humane society and so called animal lovers combined. We have more auto accidents due to many reasons; the adaptability of the specie to thrive in all types of habitat, environments and climates and the increase of people moving into newly developed suburbs that used to be farm country. The refusal of these new towns to control and reduce the population through hunting also contributes to the problem. No one wants firearms to be used in populated areas, but archery could be and is a safe alternative. I remember quite a few years ago reading an article about doing this very same thing in the suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul. There were some absolute monsters shot. Instead of allowing this type of a safe hunting technique, they just used a broad stroke of the brush and painted all hunting as dangerous, cruel and abhorrent to rationally minded, civilized societies . As more and more suburb residents have their expensive flora eaten, landscape destroyed, aggressive rutting bucks chasing kids waiting for the school bus, $2000 specially bred dogs being impaled and expensive SUV’s and soccer mom vans damaged with insurance rates skyrocketing due to unwanted Bambi encounters are waking up to reducing the herds by listening to sound, scientific advice of wildlife experts and using the best way to reduce the herds. Hunting. I have hit probably a dozen deer and just about everyone I know has wrecked a vehicle. My brother hit a deer, had it repaired and a couple weeks later did so again. He picked his repaired truck and the next morning, about 12 hours later, hit another deer and totaled the truck. This all happened in the span of about 5 weeks. This happened to someone who knows how to watch and anticipate areas that deer may cross the road. He pays attention to the glow of eyes at night and if he sees a deer cross the road ahead of hit, he slow downs and anticipates another deer that might be following.
I guess I went “off subject” on this post and apologize for doing so.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:38:28 PM by Michiganhunter »

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
I just received my April 2018 NRA’s American Hunter magazine. There is a story on hunting Australian Water Buffalo on Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory’s. It’s a good read.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »
Cool. The Water buffalo is a great critter to hunt. I am hanging to get back up there for another trophy buff hunt.
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 07:21:31 PM »
Thought I would continue this post as I just got back all my critters from my taxidermist. Unfortunately it won't let me post some of them due to the format. But here are some.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
Very, very nice. Congratulations!
Duane

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »
Great group of mounts Brett, a good taxidermist is invaluable. How long before you get your Longhorn bull back from the taxidermist?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 08:55:03 PM »
Very nice

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 12:49:31 AM »
Great group of mounts Brett, a good taxidermist is invaluable. How long before you get your Longhorn bull back from the taxidermist?

It is going to take a while Danno. My taxidermist is a bit behind and so I told him not to worry about my longhorn and get to it when he can. I have nowhere to put it, or any other mounts, at the moment so no point having it done yet.
I am on the search for a new house to buy or some land to build a trophy room with a house attached. 
Aussie gun nut.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
Quote from: danno50 link=topic=15541.msg159373#msg159373 date=1529462939

I am on the search for a new house to buy or some land to build a trophy room with a house attached.
[/quote

I like the way you think B.B.! Great trophies b.t.w.!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
Agreed you have a great taxidermist. You don't just talk about guns and hunting like some but get out there and do it
.Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 11:45:21 PM »
Agreed you have a great taxidermist. You don't just talk about guns and hunting like some but get out there and do it
.Congrats.

Thanks Roger. I do try and get out as much as possible. I love everything there is about hunting and shooting. I do try and make the most of each and every hunt I go on. Sometimes putting said hunts into writing for some Australian hunting magazines.
I wish I had of started taking animals I shot to the taxidermist 20 years ago though. I won't be doing as much as I would like for the next few years though unfortunately. I have 2 weeks in South Africa to look forward to in September and then I won't travel overseas for a while. My financial adviser has told me to cut my spending in half and start saving. The stock market is in a downfall so I won't be doing the overseas trips I had wanted to. Plus I am actually in the market for a new house or land to build one.
I will continue to hunt the critters here in Australia as there are still seven deer species I am yet to hunt. So they will keep me busy for a while....
Aussie gun nut.