Spike Camp

Anyone shooting a Vanguard in 270 WSM?

Anyone shooting a Vanguard in 270 WSM?
« on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:15 AM »
Just bought a Vanguard Sub MOA in 270 WSM.  Wondering if anyone in the Nation shoots this cartridge, and how it performs for them, especially field results.  Also, anything I should watch out for using this cartridge?  I've read that sometimes the "short and fat" magnums can have feeding problems.

Any insight or advice is gladly accepted.
Roy was a genius.  Period.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Anyone shooting a Vanguard in 270 WSM?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »
I don't own it in a Vanguard, but my 16yr old son's first rifle is a lefty Browning A-Bolt in 270WSM. It's a great round, with a ton of capability, based on what we've seen at the range. My son isn't a hunter (though he's rumbling about it now, as he considers going off to college with no venison...) but his paper and chrono results tell me this round should do anything on game the 270Wby does, albeit it a little less far and fast.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
Yes I own a Sako 75 Deluxe chambered in it. I haven't shot a great deal of animals with it. Mainly some feral goats and a few small pigs. But it performed great on them. I have a video of me shooting a nice billy with the 150grn SST and he just crumbles. I have since switched to the 130grn TSX that I had planned to use on a fallow deer hunt but then ended up not going.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
Don't own a Vanguard in any WSM, but have a few Model 70s.  Shot a few Wisconsin whitetails with a 270WSM and got great performance.  Only feeding issue was on an early Kimber in 7mmWSM, but had a later one in 300 that was fine.  In elk camp we have guys with Browning lever actions, Browning bolts, and Model 70s shooting WSMs and no problems.  The lever guy has shot at least one elk with his backup gun in 270WSM.

ctw

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »
    I have the sub moa in 270 wsm, and my son in law has one in the stainless version.  both are very accurate and not hard to reload for. I have been using federal blue box ammo in mine now for some time and will shoot under 1/2 inch at  100yds. I just about have enough brass to reload for it and will probably do so this fall before upcoming deer season.   I have been loading my son inlaw's for some time now using nosler brass and nosler 140 grain accu bonds along with alliant rl22 powder ignited with fed. 215 primers. His groups under 1/2 inch with that load,and chronys a little better than 3200 fps. my daughter has the 270 wsm in a rem. 700 synthetic stock that I load for with nosler components, rl22, but with 130 gr. nosler balistic tips clocking along at 3400 + fps making it a very flat shooter, her's also shoots 1/2 inch or better groups. Infact last year she shot a 3 shot group w/ 2 in one hole and the third one 1/2 in touching. All we have used these rifles on is deer and an occasional woodchuck or 2. With the right bullet and load combination there is no reason why the 270 wsm wouldn't make an excellent elk cartridge.  I did have a slight problem with mine loading shells into the chamber from the magazine because the mag. spring was to stiff; causing the loaded round to pop up to fast while cycling the bolt miss aligning the round with the chamber. I did find a simple solution to this problem, I believe on this forum,and that was to fill the magazine full  with empty cases and set a side and forget about it for awhile. I believe in my case it was for a month or so,just because other things in my life where more pressing. After that it cycled smooth as silk. Although my son in law never experienced that with his. Ballistics wise it nips at the heels of the 270 weatherby mag. but I believe the weatherby has a slight edge. I don't think you will be disapointed though but pleasantly surprised. I hope this has been helpful.  ctw

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
Appreciate everyone's info ... good stuff!

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
I have the Sub MOA Vanguard 270 WSM. I love the gun/round. I use it primarily for deer and pigs but I wouldn't have a problem using if for larger game though. I have it topped with a Nikon Monarch 7 4x16x50. I shoot factory ammo. The Barnes TSX 140 grn has been the *most* accurate so far but the Nosler 140 Accubonds are grouping real, real close to the Barnes and those are what I hunt with at the moment. Both definitely under MOA.

Everything except for 2 deer that I have shot with it have been DRT kills. 1 small buck made it maybe 15 feet and one doe (to this day I have no idea how) made it about 120 yards despite having a blown up heart and lungs and a NASTY exit wound.  ???

Below are a couple of pigs I've taken with it and the gun itself.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:43:44 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:23:55 AM »
Thanks for the info, DW5!

Like you, I am sometimes amazed at how deer can motor away even though punctured with devastating effect.  From my many years hunting -- and reading gobs of forum posts -- seems the driver in most "runoff" cases is heart shot.  And you see this a lot, too -- upon gutting, the shredded heart is examined, and the hunter says, "Wow!  How the heck could it have run that far?!!"

Getting back on topic -- I won't go so far as to say "all-around cartridge," but I think the .270 WSM gets close.  I appreciate you sharing about your experience with Barnes and Nosler Accubonds ... more for me to ponder.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 05:46:46 AM by Badgerland Hunter »

Gary

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
BH, I worked up a load for a friend's 270WSM.  The most accurate was the Berger 140gr VLD, Federal 210M primer, H4350 powder in Nosler brass.  Sub-1/2 MOA @ 200yds.  He has a nice muley with it and is taking it on a desert bighorn hunt in Dec.
Scott Arizona