Spike Camp

Hurricane Harvey aftermath in La Grange, TX

Hurricane Harvey aftermath in La Grange, TX
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:10:27 PM »

By the Grace of God, to my knowledge, nobody was killed in the La Grange area.  A FEMA inspector told me that "around" 400 homes were inundated, but about 250 of those were trailers and RV's set up in the low lying areas.  But that doesn't mean there was any less of a loss to the families that lived in them; they still lost everything they had.  A ballpark unofficial rain amount, was 48 inches, give or take, for the entire watershed area of La Grange, North/Northwest, West/Southwest of Lagrange.  That is a monstrous amount of water.  As the flood waters receded somewhat, we were able to go to town.  A Mom and Pop barbecue business from North of Waco, had set up shop at one of the staging spots in town, and feeding survivors and responders for free.  One of the Catholic Schools sent in a load of sack lunches that they had their students prepare that morning instead of classwork.  They would send in a load every day, to my knowledge.  Throughout this entire event, the Churches were the absolute Kings of helping the survivors and responders.  A day or two later, Southside Market, a larger Mom and Pop barbecue establishment from Elgin, set up shop at the staging area, and for ten or so days, provided breakfast, lunch, and supper for anyone, for free.  A day or two later, ? Miller Barbecue did the same, working right next to Southside.  They were no longer competitors, they were colleagues at this point.  Both of them served thousands and thousands of free meals.  And it wasn't wieners and Chinese crackers; it was the good stuff you get at their restaurants.  I urge anyone traveling through the Elgin, Taylor, Bastrop, Austin area, to eat at their establishments, and tell them you had heard about their amazing efforts to feed people after the flood.  The Red Cross, to my knowledge, did not show up for days, and when they did, they set up at one of the Churches that had already been doing all manner of housing survivors.  All of that credit should go to the Church, none to the Red Cross.  About ten days after the event, I saw the first Salvation Army trailer.  The local multi-Church sponsored resale shop, Second Chance was up and running on day two, distributing everything for free to the survivors.  The donations from locals, people throughout the state, and from other states, was so overwhelming, that they received more stuff than they were able to give out.  Walmarcado donated tens of thousands of dollars worth of clothing and supplies.  Big hotel chains like Hilton and Best Western sent in trucks full of free brand new linens, towels, wash cloths, etc.  The bottled water companies sent in enough water, to recreate the flood.  Whataburger has their own branded water; and supplied dozens of pallets of it.  Academy, Lowes, Home Depot, many, many big box stores sent in cots, cleaning supplies, clothing, all manner of anything.  They even had dog and cat food sent in from feed companies.  Volunteers from all over the State, and many other states started pouring in to help with the cleanup.  I am almost in tears typing this, thinking of the wonderful people that are still willing to help others.  I never once heard, "What are you going to do for me."  I only heard the phrase, "What can I do to help you," hundreds of times.  Every morning, several hundred volunteers would meet at a staging area, and survivors would get some of them to go along, and help them with their premises.  Second Baptist, where my Sons are members sent in their "Mud Out Men," part of their Church mission program, to help my Brother in law to gut my house, tear out walls and floors, power wash, and sanitize it.  Also hauling off all the debris.  They got what was left of my house ready for rebuilding, if FEMA comes through for me.  They were assisted by a group of Christian men from Kingsland that drove in, to assist.  And they were also helped by a Christian Scout group from Mt. Pleasant; 21 young teenagers, mostly girls, that gave up their weekend and iphones, and got really dirty and nasty, cleaning up debris.  I was so proud of them, knowing that there is hope for this Country, with young people that are willing to do stuff like this.  My Sister and her husband, my two sons, and many friends were there every day to assist me.  I have the best family and friends that a person could ever ask for.  Some of the Fraternities from UT came down to volunteer.  Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod left a bucket full of cleaning supplies and a box fan at every house that looked like it was damaged.  A Church in Austin where a friend of mine attends, sent me a very nice used washer and dryer.  I know that I am forgetting some of the great people and organizations, and I apologize, my mind is still in a blur.  But I can say, that I saw THE BEST of America in the past two weeks; the VERY best.  This is the Spirit that made America what it is, and I am so thankful, that it is still in our blood.  Yes, there were some sad moments.  There was some looting, but nothing major.  I was told that hardly any looters were locals; they are "professional" looters, from all over the country, that travel to disaster areas to steal.  I think there is a special place in Hell for people that do this.  There is also a quick effective "cure" for it, but it would not be politically correct.  I stayed on the remains of my premises 24/7 to "stave off" anyone that wanted to earn their special place in Hell.  My dog sensed prowlers on only one night, so far.  A friend of mine pulled out a huge generator from her flooded storage unit, then went in to get some more stuff, and when she came back out, two non-English speaking men had already loaded it on their pickup, and drove away with it.  Then the local Walmarcado reported that people were bringing in the free items that they had gotten at Second Chance, and were trying to cash them in as "returns."  One lady with a resale shop was picking up free goods every day, and then trying to sell them at her shop.  She got shut down.  All in all though, it was about 99% of the best of Americans at work here, and only a few scumbags. 
I am not a "victim."  By the Grace of God, I am a survivor.  HE has provided me with scores of "Angels" to help me get out of this, and I will recover from it.  Hopefully FEMA will come through, and then I can commence the rebuilding process.  Again, I am amazed at "The American Spirit" of helping others, which is fully attributable, to our Judeo/Christian based system of ethics.  While it is so important to some "Americans" to destroy statues and rename buildings and streets, it is more important to hundreds of thousands of real Americans (responders and volunteers), wherever disaster strikes, to help others to recover from destruction, and rebuild their lives.  Thank you Lord, thank you family, thank you friends, and thank you America.  MM

Re: Hurricane Harvey aftermath in La Grange, TX
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
Tejas means "friendly." I'm proud of our Lobe Star State. Especiakky glad that you are safe. Hopefully Texas' example will show folks that we, as a coubtry, afe not as divided as the media and polititians (all of them) make us seem.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:48:51 AM »
I have seen the same kindness here in Florida after hurricanes. I am always amazed at how we all work together in those circumstances.  Good luck on the recovery!  :)

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
Thanks for your post MM! It's people and businesses like that, that make me proud to be an American. I hope things continue to improve for you and your neighbors, God Bless!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:43:22 PM »
Sometime tragedies bring the best of people.  Glad you have those angels looking over you, and helping you.  We as Americans have endured many catastrophes, and we always come back better and stronger.  We'll continue to pray for your quick recovery from this mess. God Bless!!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
So Happy to hear of all of the help you and your neighbors are getting. It warms my heart to hear  all the help and volunteers ready to do what it takes to help ease the pain! Stay Safe MM

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
Churches always used to be the charities that looked after the poor and those in need. Now the government figures that is their job with tax payers money, and many have come to expect it.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild