Spike Camp

Have some guys getting my tree stand ready, PIC

Have some guys getting my tree stand ready, PIC
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »
Gettin' my tree stand ready for the season. :o
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:51:05 AM by godscountry »
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

Re: Have some guys getting my tree stand ready, PIC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
One more.

badsection

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
Cool!  I have seen MD, state troopers radar tracking cars in bucket trucks on U S 50, but never one in a tree stand!  Good Luck!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:06:03 PM »
Luckily you are dead on out to 500 yards, that's way up there.
Doug

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Cool!  I have seen MD, state troopers radar tracking cars in bucket trucks on U S 50, but never one in a tree stand!  Good Luck!  ;D
We'll do what ever it takes to catch you Bad. ;D

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:03:35 AM »
We'll do what ever it takes to catch you Bad. ;D
Yep so will the local county sheriffs department.
That will be a nice stand when you get it done.
TD

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »
I'm hoping I'll be able to shoot from Maryland to Idaho from it. Do you think the 6.5-300 will reach that far and still shoot MOA? ???

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:51:28 AM »
It might, but at that distance, a 1MOA first round hit only gets you into the county where your quarry is.

And that opens another question. What rings are you going to use to mount your astronomy telescope for use as a sighting device?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
It might, but at that distance, a 1MOA first round hit only gets you into the county where your quarry is.

And that opens another question. What rings are you going to use to mount your astronomy telescope for use as a sighting device?
  Rings? You know I don't use rings, duct tape baby! I'm going to bounce the round off a satellite.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:44:58 AM by godscountry »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
Based on your satellite-bounce trajectory, I'm guessing you're using a monolithic bullet to prevent the jacket burning off during re-entry? Are you planning to use a ceramic coating on your bullets to mitigate the heat, as well?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 03:43:31 PM »
LOL! Take whatever shot you are comfortable with! My limit so far is 300yds. !   :)  I'm positive you wrote me a ticket in Rockville in the late 70's!   I will not admit or deny guilt!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
LOL! Take whatever shot you are comfortable with! My limit so far is 300yds. !   :)  I'm positive you wrote me a ticket in Rockville in the late 70's!   I will not admit or deny guilt!  ;D
      Sorry Bad, but that couldn't have been me, I was still in the Marines until 1980. But I sure wish I'd written you, you most likely deserved it. Ha, Ha.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:39:42 AM by godscountry »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
This Maryland to Idaho shot Godscountry is attempting to pull off with his 6.5 is one of the better conversations on here in some time  ;D ;D
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »
Based on your satellite-bounce trajectory, I'm guessing you're using a monolithic bullet to prevent the jacket burning off during re-entry? Are you planning to use a ceramic coating on your bullets to mitigate the heat, as well?

The way I figure it, with the speed generated before leaving the atmosphere the bullet will be plenty hot. Then upon entering the vacuum of space along with the super cold temps the bullet will deeply harden for re-entry. The impact with the satellite should slow the bullet enough for a safe re-entry speed preventing a falling star effect. I do feel sorry for the critter it hits in Idaho after the bullet goes through all that, but that's hunting. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:47:55 AM by godscountry »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
The way I figure it, you should be able to eat your kill when you arrive at it, since the superheated bullet will effectively cook the animal to a nice medium rare upon striking it. You're really breaking some key new ground here, GC. This could revolutionize the entire western hunting conundrum plaguing so many easterners - the high cost in time and money of going west to hunt. With the right optics and cartridge, and a basic knowledge of satellite orbit and trigonometry, it will be easy as pie to take elk right from our back porches here east of the Mississippi. I'm excited about this prospect!