Spike Camp

Fall Food Plots

224KING

• View Profile
Fall Food Plots
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Spread 140 pounds of nitrogen per acre this morning on 10 total acres.3 food plots.Took spreader back to town and tilled in the dry fertilizer.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Fall Food Plots
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »
Plan on sewing oats and turnip seed tomorrow if grain drill doesn't take to long to get ready.I haven't done anything with it since I put it up after last season.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
That should make some critters happy.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
Didn't have time to do any planting today,but did get the drill hooked up and pulled the steel wool out of the meters and the drop tubes.Oiled the drive chains.Should be able to load the seed and take off in the morning.Really need to get it in tomorrow.Slight chance for rain starting Saturday thru Tuesday.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
Got them all planted

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:16:19 AM »
Army worms are bad this year.They may do in all my food plots.I hired a guy to spray my big fields.but it's too hard for him to get his big spray rig to my small food plots.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:06:09 AM by 224KING »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:40:53 AM »
For anyone who has never experienced army worms in their garden, heres a run down with ways to control them.
 https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/garden-pests/armyworm-control/
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:13 AM »
That is a bummer after putting in all that work.I have seen them destroy hay fields and pastures.
Roger

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »
Damn
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:53:20 AM »
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
It's amazing what an inch and a half of rain will do.My oats came back here after spraying the army worms,but now the turnips have gone absolutely crazy after the soaker rain we had.You think I over did it on the turnip seed?Can't even see the oats and they are 6 inches tall elsewhere in the field.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
Wow.That should be a deer magnet.They love greens.Eat the tops and then come back for the turnip roots in the ground later.Did you plant any mustard greens also?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:34:45 PM by terminator »
Roger

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »
It's amazing what an inch and a half of rain will do.My oats came back here after spraying the army worms,but now the turnips have gone absolutely crazy after the soaker rain we had.You think I over did it on the turnip seed?Can't even see the oats and they are 6 inches tall elsewhere in the field.
Nah, let the turnips and the oats fight over the space, and damn the army worms. Now all you have to do is wait for the critters to show up.
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
I hope they don't choke the oats out too bad.I'm planning on baling them for the cows to eat next winter.It is what it is I guess.I only sprinkled about a pound and a half of the turnip seeds on the oats in the planter.You never know what your going to get that way.One year I did the same thing and hardly had any turnips come up that year.Didn't sprinkle any in the next year on the same field and was over run with them like in the picture.The seeds just weren't at the right depth to germinate that first year I guess.

No mustard greens Roger.I have messed with winter peas before,but you never know what you'll get with them either.Turnips do draw the deer and I have watched doe eat the leaves.Seems like they don't touch them until it really gets bad winter wise and nothing else is hardly growing,but farmer's wheat and oats.I have eaten them raw while in the field just to see what the deer are getting and they are packed full of water.In the deep part of the winter it's very dry and that's probably why they like them so much then.

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Tom:I planted turnip greens on one side of a road flanked with rye grass and mustard greens on the other side of the road flanked with rye grass also.The greens were put in at Mamas request so she could harvest some also.The seeds don't like to be covered very deep from my experiences .Long story short Mama got some greens and the deer clipped back all the mustard greens first and then moved to the turnip greens later.Later in the year they ate the turnip roots.Guess the mustard greens were more tasty to them from this.
Roger