Spike Camp

257 load possible issues?

257 load possible issues?
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
I think I may have found my load but Iím a little concerned about pressure. The load is 100gr ttsx over 71gr of 7828 at 3.250 COAL brass is nosler and weatherby. The group was shot at 130 yards. Iím very new to reloading so Iím open to whatever you want to say.The day I shot this is was hot and sunny, Iím getting some pressure signs, minor extractor marks and slight primer cratering but not flatlining. But the cases look almost identical to the factory weatherby 100gr sp rounds I fired as well. Bolt lift and extraction was identical between factory and reloads and very easy. My 70gr loads also looked the same. I realize every rifle is different but does anyone run a load similar to this without problems? Iíve read that primer cratering and extractor marks can just be from the bolt having loose or long firing pin /extractor
alta_redneck and albertahuntingcrew on Instragram

• View Profile
Re: 257 load possible issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
If  you ask 10 people how they measure pressure you will 10 different answers
This is how I measure pressure. First off I use only new cases, repeated firing can work harden the brass. Than I measure the case before and after firing. In your belted mag maximum expansion is .0006" to .0007"  max measuring the belt.
To me if you have flattened primers, shiny spots on the base, is all unreliable info. If you have a hard lifting bolt you are past max pressure. Blown primers you are way past max.

I have not used the load or powder you mentioned but measuring pressure is something you should learn to read. There is a lot of info in the front of many reloading manuals. The info above came from Hornady manual and Speer manuals

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »
Took a quick look at Barnes data for this load and it seems you are 2grs over their max with the 100 gr tsx. Could be pressure.As 257 pointed out, read up on how to read pressure signs. In reloading you really have to get a hang of this.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »
Sounds as if you are at your rifle's limit.I wouldn't shoot it on any warmer days than your last test day.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:13:48 AM »
If by extractor marks, you mean you're getting the raise round extrusion on the casehead from where the case is being pushed in on the ejector plunger, you are over pressure or your brass is soft. Since you're a full 2gr over the Barnes data for the bullet you're using, I'd bet it's pressure. Back off and save wear on your cases and action.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:25:36 AM by dubyam »
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:21:46 AM »
Was your ammo laying in the sun?  If you take two of the exact same bullets and one is warmer, such as on a hot sunny day in the summer especially if it's laying in the sun, will have slightly higher pressure than the ammo that's cold such as being in the shade or even on a day that's significantly colder day.  This may sound crazy but it's a proven fact and was utilized by a Canadian Sniper who set the world's record for the longest sniper shot earlier this year which ranged 3,450 meters (3871 yards).  I would back off on your charge and make sure it's at or below what's listed as maximum in the manual.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.