Spike Camp

Partition or Barnes

Partition or Barnes
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
I ran out of Federal Trophy Bonded 160 grainers for my 7MM Remi on the weekend, thinking my local gun shop or Cabela's Canada would have stock so I was not too worried but struck out and it doesn't look good getting any before my moose hunt Oct 21st so here are my two options.

Federal Nosler Partition 160 grainers or Barnes TTSX 150 grainers and some range time to re-sight
What do you folks recommend. I am leaning towards the Barnes but am open for suggestions. I can see the smile on your face Roger....... ;)

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

Re: Partition or Barnes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:38 PM »
 Terry
I dont have a 7mm, so have not shot either, so I will refrain from giving an opinion. But LOL
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:46:24 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:45:33 PM »
I'm a BIG fan of partitions. The work exactly as Big John designed them all those years ago. They shed weight to transfer energy, yet retain at least 60% of their weight for penetration. I load them in all my rifles, except my wife's (only because they wouldn't shoot well enough at the velocity she needed for recoil management). If your rifle likes them, I think you'll be pleased by their on game performance.

That said, you're starting from scratch, don't have a preference, AND can afford a box of each, I say let your rifle choose. From what I read of Barnes, they'll do exactly what you want, so long as the rifle likes them.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:51:19 PM »
Haha well I am a dead set Barnes fan. You can absolutely guarantee a TSX or TTSX will penetrate thru heavy bone and muscle. I have found with Partitons that they lose the front half and then don't have enough weight in the rear core to penetrate enough. I like a bullet that will hopefully penetrate and exit the far side to leave a big hole for better blood lost.
But as Cbloom20 said, grab a box of each and see what is the most accurate. Even then I'd still take the barnes lol
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
I like a bullet that will hopefully penetrate and exit the far side to leave a big hole for better blood lost.

This is a perfect example of, what I consider, the 2 schools of thought for hunting ammo. Some like 2 holes for better tracking, which definitely has merit. I prefer 1 hole and all the energy expended in the animal. If you ascribe to one school of thought or the other, you know which bullet to grab. Partitions shed up to 40% weight to dump energy. TSX & TTSX hold 99.9%+ weight to punch through. Both kill for sure.

Below is a picture of the 130 grain Partition I recovered from a 230 lb boar hog I shot in West Texas. I found the bullet just under the hide on the opposite side. It did still have a LITTLE bit of lead from the front core, but I lost it. Either way, I consider that perfect performance; the pig only moved 2.5 feet, and it was straight down.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:04:32 AM by Cbloom20 »
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
I'm not a mono fan but I also don't hunt with magnum calibers.

I do hunt moose (Northern Ontario) and I do hunt with a 7 mil but it's an .08 :)

When I couldn't get my go to bullet for reloading, and like you it was a month before moose season (140 grain Swift A-Frame) I went with the next best thing - 140 grain Partition.

While not quite as stout as the A-Frame it's close enough.

The moose and the bears that went down didn't seem to notice I was no longer shooting the Swift's.

For me, I want something that I am certain is going to mushroom. I don't have the velocity to ensure that with the Barnes offerings. Shooting the RM you probably don't have that issue....
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:50:56 PM »
The advice you've received to let your rifle decide is the best option. But if your budget won't bear that, I'd have to say I've had excellent performance out of tipped monoliths in my 'bees, and I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with the TTSX performance. But, and this is a bigger issue for most rifles than folks realize, if you've been shooting a copper alloy bullet in your 7, before you go to the range with the Barnes, give your bore a good cleaning to remove the existing copper fouling. And plan on doing that again if you decide to switch back to your old bullets again later on. If you don't clean the copper out, those Barnes will likely give you poor accuracy from the start.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:53:55 AM »
Great information folks, much appreciated

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member