Spike Camp

SA-08 12 gauge slug gun

SA-08 12 gauge slug gun
« on: October 02, 2017, 01:53:04 PM »
Hello to all,
     I am new to the forum and hoping for some information regarding a shotgun that I have an opportunity to purchase. I found a Weatherby SA-08, 12 gauge with a 22" slug barrel with cantilever for a scope mount. There is almost no information on the web for this gun. The only thing I was able to find is that it was discontinued around 2007. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this gun?

galamb

• View Profile
Re: SA-08 12 gauge slug gun
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
I don't have any first hand experience hunting with an SA-08 with the slug barrel but have shot other SA-08's, sold many of them and continue to have them behind the gun counter.

They are quite well made for the price point (new). They handle well. They balance nice. One of our salesman uses it as his personal shotgun and loves it (he's in his 60's and has shot a few guns over the years).

They are/were made by ATA arms in Turkey. Identical to the CY models from ATA save the name on the side and location of the serial number.

When it comes to slug guns, unless you push the envelope they are pretty much a 100 yard or less shotgun. I wouldn't place this model ahead of OR behind any of the other similar offerings (Rem, Mossberg etc).

It sold as an "average guys" shotgun which is exactly what it is.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
Thank you for replying. I have the option of an 11-87 with a Hastings barrel or the SA-08 with the slug barrel. Both used but in good or better condition and both close to the same price ($530). The lack of any reviews or news from when it was produced made me a little uneasy. I have a Weatherby Mark V and I love the quality. I was hoping for the same build quality in the shotgun. I have also read online (same story as the discontinued in 07) that some of these slug guns were made in Japan and some in Italy. Any info on if this is true and how to determine?

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »
Your shotgun was made between 2003-2007, and like galamb said it was made in Turkey.  I think the over & under were prob made in Italy.  Your shotgun should say somewhere the place of manufacture. 

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »
Thank you for responding. The more I dig into this gun (which still hasn't arrived at the dealer) it appears to be an SAS 12 gauge slug gun with the 22" barrel. It also has the triangular safety for the right handed user. Still cant find any information from an actual user. Seems like they are rare to get a operations or function-ability report.