Spike Camp

Kreiger barrels on Mk 5 Ultra Lightweights

Kreiger barrels on Mk 5 Ultra Lightweights
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
Is there any way to know if my Ultra Lightweight in .30-06 has a Kreiger barrel?  It has a serial # WB0068XX, which Weatherby.com says was made sometime from 1998 - 2004.
Roy was a genius.  Period.

danno50

• View Profile
Re: Kreiger barrels on Mk 5 Ultra Lightweights
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »
If no one here has the answer, try this site and ask the same question. Good luck.
  https://kriegerbarrels.com/inquiry
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:58:31 AM »
That's good advice, Danno ... I reached out to Krieger.  I also did ask Craig at the Wby. Custom Shop, and he said this rifle was made in October 1999, and he was pretty sure it has a Criterion barrel, which back then was part of Krieger.

We'll see what Krieger might be able to tell me.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
So, here's what I found out ... Krieger said I should contact Criterion directly as they (Krieger) don't hold those records.  Makes sense.

The tech rep at Criterion was VERY helpful.  He said that they started supplying barrels to Weatherby in 1999, which corresponds to the year my particular ULW was manufactured.

Downside:  There are no barrel stamps whatsoever to indicate I have a Criterion barrel.

BTW:  I think it's important to share that it's likely a misnomer to say any ULWs have a "Krieger" barrel.  When I reached out to Krieger, they made it clear that -- and I quote -- "... Criterion has always been their own company, we simply shared shop space with them for a decade or so."

Bottom line:  Craig at Weatherby custom shop said he thinks it is a Criterion barrel, but there's no way to prove that.  AND, it's safe to say I DO NOT have a Krieger barrel.

Maybe some of the other afficianadoes would care to weigh in here ... as always, I'm grateful for anyone who cares to shed light.