Spike Camp

Dogs

Dogs
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
A long time and very trusted friend had to put down his dog last night.  I just wish I had words to ease the pain for him. I failed!  I guess listening to him without a comment was the best choice.  Having had to make that decision in the past brings all that back.  I fear having to do that with my GSD. He is my family.   :(

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
Been there. A truly gut turning day. I feel very sorry for your friend.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
Bad, I know the feeling very well.  Cried like a baby when I had to put down my black lab Sam.  Very sad moment, and I still get chocked up when I talked about Sam.  My dogs are family.  My deepest condolences to your friend.  :'(

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:54:34 PM »
My Condolences to your friend, Bad!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »
Condolences to your friend Kevin.
One of the worse days of my life was when I had to put my Lab down.
TD

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »
I've often said the unconditional love of a good dog is one of the closest things on this earth to the love Christ shows us in our imperfections. As hard as it is, the day comes when we love our best friends enough to give them the gift of relief from suffering and let them go.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »
I've often said the unconditional love of a good dog is one of the closest things on this earth to the love Christ shows us in our imperfections. As hard as it is, the day comes when we love our best friends enough to give them the gift of relief from suffering and let them go.

Amen
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »
Somebody posted this on my friend's facebook. I thought it was nice!  :)

3X8

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
We had to put our 13.5 year old Black Lab down last Memorial Day and it was terrible. My wife insisted we get another Lab right away, no way I wanted one. She won and I'm so glad she did. Our new Black Lab will never replace our old one but he sure has helped fill that huge hole in our hearts.

11 weeks later my son lost his Yellow Lab, he didn't want another one right away either but his wife, kids, and Mom insisted, they won and he had the same results :D

Somehow get your friend to get a new pup ASAP and insist on it ;) 

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
Like all who have dogs in their lives, I've had to do it more times than I care to remember. I wish I could say it gets easier, but it doesn't. I have photographs of dogs all over my house, some of them dogs that died long before I was even born, dogs my father had as a child and that I grew up hearing stories about, some of them dogs from his own childhood, so I don't think it ever gets easier for any of us.
JP
Moderator Jameson Parker
www.readjamesonparker.com

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »
"The perfection of a life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end.  Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process."

George Bird Evans,
                                        An Affair With Grouse

I always think of this quote when I think about how short time is with a good dog and how unfair it seems.
BPH

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »
I see a lot of us have experienced the loss of a good dog. The best thing for me was foster caring for a number of different dogs. Before you got emotionally attached, they were gone. Very few were any problem. The one I really wanted to adopt was a Irish Wolfhound. They don't bark and show no aggressiveness. Size alone was intimidating by itself.  :)

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »
Been 3 years this month since we had to put Socks down.16 year old pit/lab mix.I still can't talk about it.We thought we didn't want to get another dog right away and we mourned for 5 months.My mom brought a little 4.5 pound,8 week old,rescue by and I convinced my wife to keep her over night.The rest is history.After about a week her name was evident.Sassy has been with us since.Pit/boxer mix.

All I can say is don't wait to get another good thing going.Get another dog as fast as the right one comes along.You'll know it when it's right.Save a dog from a shelter or contact your local rescue.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
Well I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to going out and replacing a pet right away.
I still miss my lab and there is no way I plan on putting myself threw that again. Even though I knew it was the right thing to do. When I saw the light go out in his eyes my heart broke in two and I cried for a hour.
I had saved his life when the local shelter was going to put him down because he growled at a police officer when he walked by his kennel. and then 14yrs latter I had to let him go for his own good to relieve his pain and suffering.
There's no way I'm going threw that again.
I can always enjoy someone Else's dog.
TD

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
My dog has been my constant companion throughout this hurricane ordeal.  He knows something terrible bad happened to both of us, but he still looks at me and wags his tail as if to say, "We will get through all of this."  On the eighth day, God made the dog.  MM