Spike Camp

Any Bow Hunters?

Any Bow Hunters?
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
My wife is taking me shopping for a compound bow. This will be my first bow, and I honestly don't know much of anything about them. Budget is somewhere around $400. Any sugestions? Will be used primarily for whitetail and pigs.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Re: Any Bow Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
My wife is taking me shopping for a compound bow. This will be my first bow, and I honestly don't know much of anything about them. Budget is somewhere around $400. Any sugestions? Will be used primarily for whitetail and pigs.

Doesn't she know Bow hunters spend much more time hunting than Rifle hunters?

Who will be doing diaper duty when you're bow hunting? :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »
Any of the top end bows will be around 1000.00 but I would go to a archery store and get your draw length meassured. Then I would shop ebay for a used mathews with the propper draw length. 2nd option I did see a new bear bow at walmart for 350 something
With a whisker biscut rest. That mite be a good start.
Good luck in what ever you deside to do.

Mark

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Who will be doing diaper duty when you're bow hunting? :)

Got to love when the grandparents come to visit!

Grizzly340, I wish I had $1000 to blow on a bow. I probably wouldn't still, for fear of buying complete junk or a high class piece of equipment that I break due to inexperience. I just saw a "entry level" Bear bow on Amazon for about that price. I know Pigman swears by Bear. But I guess if they paid me whatever they're paying him, I'd say that too.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
I love bow hunting. You could find a compound for that price but then you have arrows,rest,release,quiver and set up.
Cheaper route at that budget may be a used longbow or recurve. Then you have bow,arrows and release(glove or tab) for under that. If you go this route get one that is around 45 pounds at 28 inches of draw.
I shoot both. I love going out in the yard flinging arrows.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

fuonlynu

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
I shoot recurves, had a compound for a few years but I like long bows better and just know that compounds are like the flavor of the month or like womans shoes always gotta have the latest and greatest.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:13 PM »
If you've never owned a bow, I'd suggest going to an archery shop and let them set you up with a bow. Most shops will give you instructions and let you shoot. Lots of great bows out there now, I spent over $1,500 for my Bowtech Guardian with all the bells and whistles. An archery magazine or two might help also.
Doug

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
If you've never owned a bow, I'd suggest going to an archery shop and let them set you up with a bow. Most shops will give you instructions and let you shoot. Lots of great bows out there now, I spent over $1,500 for my Bowtech Guardian with all the bells and whistles. An archery magazine or two might help also.

We're planning to go to a local archery shop tomorrow. I planned on letting them take measurements and make suggestions. Almost the whole 9 yards. Then go out to local pawn shops or look online for used bows that fit what they recommend.

I figured enough of yall shot bows that you could tell me what to look out for (ex. bad brands). I trust the judgement of (most) of Weatherby Nation.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
Any thoughts on this set up? The reviews are pretty good. Not looking for top of the line. Just need something that'll shoot straight and not break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Archery-Compound-Package-A5CZ21007R/dp/B00MQ30V4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507690190&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+archery+cruzer

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
As long as they make gun powder and bullets...Just saying....
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:22 AM »
Any thoughts on this set up? The reviews are pretty good. Not looking for top of the line. Just need something that'll shoot straight and not break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Archery-Compound-Package-A5CZ21007R/dp/B00MQ30V4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507690190&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+archery+cruzer

I hunted with compound bows for years when I was younger and had everything from cheap starters to expensive bows and IMO this I a good starter for you

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »

Oh, I'm not getting rid of any rifles. Was looking at getting another quarter bore. Trying to decide between a Mark V ULW, Vanguard Back Country or doing a semi-custom Rem 700. The Weatherbys would be 257 WBY and the Remington would be 25-06. The Vanguard and 700 would cost about the same. But that's a topic for another post. haha!

Thanks, Huntnmachine!

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
It looks like a decent starter package, especially with that many reviews (if they're legit). I use to order some of my wife's medical supply's thru Amazon and have received the wrong product and only half of what I ordered. And since I never got any satisfaction from my complaints I refuse to buy thru them again. Hope you have better luck.
Doug

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »

Oh, I'm not getting rid of any rifles. Was looking at getting another quarter bore. Trying to decide between a Mark V ULW, Vanguard Back Country or doing a semi-custom Rem 700. The Weatherbys would be 257 WBY and the Remington would be 25-06. The Vanguard and 700 would cost about the same. But that's a topic for another post. haha!

Thanks, Huntnmachine!

It is my opinion that an arrow is a poor way to kill any animal.That's what my earlier post related to.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »

Thanks, Huntnmachine!

It is my opinion that an arrow is a poor way to kill any animal.That's what my earlier post related to.
I am an avid bow hunter. When hit with an arrow deer die pretty much as fast as hit with a bullet. Bad placement of a bullet or an arrow prolongs death.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member