Spike Camp

Any Bow Hunters?

badsection

Re: Any Bow Hunters?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
I have taken a lot of deer with a bow. Shot placement might be not as easy as a scoped rifle, it is as deadly. My arthritis in my shoulder made me give up on bows. Sold my Mathews Switchback to a much younger friend ( in his 40's)  :)

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
Bad,
Can you use crossbows in Florida? That's what I switched to due to old age....... :(
Xbows keep me hunting when gun seasons are closed here in Ontario.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

badsection

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
Bad,
Can you use crossbows in Florida? That's what I switched to due to old age....... :(
Xbows keep me hunting when gun seasons are closed here in Ontario.

Terry
Yes, but a second shot, if necessary, is a bastard to reload in a tree stand.  We can legally carry a handgun anywhere, anytime. I would prefer my S&W 44 mag  over a crossbow. Hogs are tough critters to take under good conditions! Wound them here and they are gator bait!  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:12 PM »
Cbloom, look in this forum, and you'll be able to find top of the line bows (Bowtech, Elite, Hoyt, Mathews & Obsession bows) for sale.  These guys will buy a bow this year, and sell it next year, because they want the greatest and newest.  I have a Bowtech & Elite I purchase from that site, and the bows were practically new, and got them for about 40% less than what you'd pay at a store.  You can also learn from this site. Don't go to a pawn shop to buy a bow, those guys usually do not know what they have, which could work in your favor too. :)  Have you gone to Basspro or Cabelas?  I know they usually have their brand, and they are usually set up like the bear is.  Just to give other options, and maybe even shoot the bows in the store.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=100

In regards to the Bear bow set up; it's not a bad deal at all and like others have said not a bad starter set either.  Let's assume that you like archery hunting, you can use this bow until you get better and you get more $$ to upgrade to another brand.  Usually these set up are setup with inexpensive accessories, but will work for you while you learn.  If you happen to not like archery hunting, then, you are only in the hole for a bit over $400.

Once you know your measurement, you'll know if you can get this bow or not, this bow only adjust to 30" .  Also, you need to look at the brace, some are 6", 7" or 7+", and the higher the number the more forgiving the bow is.  With the new bows, you are paying for a name, and you are also paying for speed.  People have been killing deer with recurve bows, so, if this bow is slower than the top brand, you'll still be able to kill a deer or hog.

Get a good set of arrows, at least 12, if you could get 18-24 even better (you'll break them & lose them).  Take 6 of them for practice, and 6 of them for hunting.  Take a class if you can, or pair up with someone to teach you how to shoot a bow.  Not knowing if you've shot a bow or not.  Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more.  Oh, did I say you have to practice?  Well, practice!  ;D  I'm sure the base has a range.  BTW, have you checked your BX to see if they sell bows?

Shoot, this is a long post for me.  LOL!!!!!  If you have any questions, or if I could help you in any way, let me know.  Good luck to you, and let us know what did you end up getting.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input, yall. I'm not really known for being patient, so I bought a bow today. Went down to a local pro archery shop and picked up a Bear LS-2. They've got a couple ranges there, and I've got a week of free range time for buying the bow. Plus any work I ever need done on the bow is free of labor charges, and I get free lessons from a very knowlegable staff.

I'll do a bunch of practicing before I try to stick any animals. I believe I owe them that much. Plus rifle season opens in less than 2 weeks.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »
Congratulations, nice looking bow! Most archery shops have winter leagues where you can really get dialed in for next year and get pointers from experienced archers.
Doug

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »
Wow, nice! Those free lessons will be very valuable too!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
Should work great!! Congrats. You will be surprised how quick you will be shooting it well with a little coaching.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
Free range time and lessons........excellent deal
Congrats and welcome to bow hunting

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
Thanks yall. I'm planning to take advantage of that range time tomorrow and Saturday while work's not too crazy.

Any recommendations on broad heads? Mainly hunting (southern) white tail and boar.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

badsection

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
I always liked the Muzzy broad heads. :)

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »
I like slick tricks,Muzzy and when it comes to mechanical heads I use 2” Grim Reapers.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »
Outstanding!  that is a sharp looking bow, and I noticed that it has Trophy Ridge, sites, arrow rest & stab.  Good deal!! I am a huge fan of Muzzy broad heads, and have never used mechanical ones, so I can't comment on them. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
I've shot all my deer with Wasp and Muzzy broad heads, but the last few years I've switched to Rage mechanicals but haven't shot at any deer with them. They fly just like field points though, just like  rifle ammo bows can be fussy as to what broad head they like.
Doug

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
Rage are the way to go. Amazing holes, very accurate, never seen one not open up.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.