Spike Camp

Any Bow Hunters?

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Any Bow Hunters?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
That's a great looking bow setup! Congratulations!

I'm a big fan of fixed broadheads. I like 100gr, and have had excellent results with NAP Thunderheads, and others no longer in production. Muzzy and the various 1-piece broadheads like the Montec would be on my list, as well.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »
First, Keep in mind, playing with broad heads is playing with razor blades. There are tools designed to install and remove them safely! My friend that just lost his dog has taken more deer with a bow than anyone I know. He just took a nice 8 point. He uses Muzzy for the same reason I did. First, they work. Second, they are cheaper and "on sale" at several places. Be safe!   ;D

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »
Rage are the way to go. Amazing holes, very accurate, never seen one not open up.

Agree 100% Roger. I have used them for years without fail and always quick kills

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
Mixed emotions on this one...

I was at the range getting some practice in when the unexpected happened. I'm proud and upset at the same time. Now I need new arrows!
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »
Those are fun at first
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

fuonlynu

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
Nice bow and the arrow thing happens. Spend less for practice arrows but have at least two good ones to use for practice just before a hunt. I just picked up three new ones. These are for a recurve bow.

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
Great shooting.Congrats on the Robin Hood.You learn pretty quick to shoot at different spots with the cost of arrows.Always practice with what you will hunt with.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »
Good advice with the different aiming points. I was only shooting groups of 5 and am definitely NOT that good yet. So needless to say, I was surprised. Note to self, shoot groups of 1. Arrows ain't cheap...
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

badsection

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 06:01:24 AM »
I used to number my arrows as a few out of a dozen seemed more accurate. I would use the most accurate first on a hunt. A felt tipped marker worked great.  :)

fuonlynu

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »
Shot my new arrows today, with field points and Zwicky broadheads they are right in line with my basic practice/ cheaper hunting arrows only difference I can see is that they are a bit stiffer therefore should be more accurate. Both sets of arrows are of carbon construction and the same weight according to specs from makers. My old PSE compound bow also shot various arrows to same point of impact as long as weight was the same. My point from above was to save your expensive arrows for hunting or serious target shooting. Your flight of the arrows may differ!.....Hitting the stand this evening.

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
.Always practice with what you will hunt with.

Great point Roger.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
I used to number my arrows as a few out of a dozen seemed more accurate. I would use the most accurate first on a hunt. A felt tipped marker worked great.  :)

I tried numbering some fixed broadheads today. 1 shot 3 inches low constistantly. One was just a little low. The last was right on the money. Great advice! Now I know what to expect when I nock an arrow.