Spike Camp

Thoughts on a "Loaner" Rifle?

DW5

• View Profile
Thoughts on a "Loaner" Rifle?
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
I may have a friend coming down this year to go on his first ever hunt with me, possibly end of general season or during our "special" doe and spike only season. If he comes I will pretty much be supplying him with most of his gear, rifle included. I used to use my Ruger M77 in .257bob for these sorts of occasions, but now that gun resides with my B-I-L at the moment. I don't think it would be any sort of issue should I need to "borrow" my gun back form him to let my friend use it, but having any reason to get in the market for a new (to me at least) gun is always a plus. Do any of y'all have a gun that you would consider your loaner rifle, and if so, what is it?

Couple of things I am thinking, 1. I would probably want to keep it to a very manageable recoil level, thinking 25-06 or under, since most people needing to borrow a gun probably aren't tremendously experienced shooters, 2. Probably want to go with some type of "synthetic" stock just because I don't want to have to worry about loaning out something to get banged up. 3. Probably looking for a caliber that has cheap/easy to find ammo. 4. Probably looking for an economical/entry to mid level rifle.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Thoughts on a "Loaner" Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
I suppose how much you trust this friend and their resistance to recoil is the question. I have 2 friends I would trust with any weapon I own well into "painful" recoil issue. The list gets real short when recoil is an issue. I sold a 416 Rem Mag Ruger #1 to a friend. If he cries enough, I'll buy it back for half price. What is "legal" comes into it. too. Any center fire is legal here! A unknown hunter would have me looking for a 243 Winchester or a 270 Win.    :)

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
I am letting my neighbor borrow my S2 in .257
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
I used to loan rifles all the time untill California became a puppeteer state. Here in Texas I would have no problem doing it again.
Man of vision

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
I have a couple of synthetic stock rifles I have if my friends need one.  They range from 270 - 300 wby. :) If you are looking for an excuse to buy one, there are a lot of good options out there.  It all depends if you want to stay with a Weatherby brand rifle, or you have other brands in mind?  Savage, Tika, & Weatherby come to mind.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
I would add T/C Compass to PARA45's list. Dirt cheap and incredible shooters!  My 300 win mag Compass is way sub moa and under $300! It does kick like a mule in that caliber. I don't care!   :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:42:45 PM by badsection »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Iíve got a rifle or two he could use, no problem. For this particular friend, all he has ever shot I believe is a .223 a few times in his life. He is from Sothern California and his immediate family isnít really into hunting. We were teammates in college and back then he never wanted to hunt, although he did want the meat. He has now developed a curiosity about hunting in the last couple of years and wants to give it a try. His dad is retired USMC and has a .223 he can practice with between now and then. I told him any time behind the trigger is WAY better than none.

While I think a .257 WBY has mild recoil, I wonder what someone with hardly any shooting experience would think. Donít know if I would want to start him off with anything bigger, but IDK? I also have my .22-250 he could use, which is legal for Deer in TX. But, maybe something with a little more knockdown power would be better. I was kinda leaning .243 win. should I get a new gun, decent TX deer caliber and I wouldnít mind having something like that around, especially when it comes time to start taking my nephew along in a few years.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:57:24 PM »
Should also mention, Iíd try and set him up with the easiest shot possible. Put him on a stand with a great braced shot and probability of something in the 50-100 yard range.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:59:32 PM by DW5 »

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »
I think I would look at the T/C as badsection recommended and I'll add the Ruger all American both in 6.5 creedmoor.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »
A Vanguard in .308 comes to my mind.I think it meets all the criteria you mentioned.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
A 243 or 7mm08 would be something to have around for a young hunter starting out as well.
Probably something with a detachable mag as well.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »
A Vanguard in 308 or 270, you can find light recoil ammo for both if it's a young hunter starting out.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 06:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far. Iíll definitley take a look at the T/C. I just canít quite decide if I would want to go the Ruger American/Savage Axis entry level route or the Vanguard/Tikka ďentryĒ route. Figured I see what others were doing/thought.

Also wanted to get thoughts on what a good starting cal for an adult first time hunter/ very novice shooter is. Normally Iíd just make a few trips to the range with someone and see what they shot/handled well, but canít do that with him being in CA. Told him to try and find a way to shoot a few but, being the bastion of gun ownership that is CA, itís looking like his dadís .223 is it.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
6.5 CM
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »
I'm with the 308 crowd on this one. Of the rifle you mentioned I own the Vanguard and the Ruger American. Both are very accurate but if I had to choose one of the two it would be the Vanguard.

The Ruger can have magazine/feeding issues here and there, it's a common problem with them. Some Americans do some don't.

And the American takes some force to lock the bolt down on a chambered cartridge if not all done in one smooth stroke. Two minor things I don't like but can live with.