Spike Camp

Thoughts on a "Loaner" Rifle?

Re: Thoughts on a "Loaner" Rifle?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
I used to loan my Vanguard 25-06, till I sold it to my dad. 25-06 has neglegible recoil, but is an emphatic killer of deer sized game. I'm itching to buy another...
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
my loaner rifle is a 270 win, using 130's in it.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 12:31:25 AM »
ALL the suggestions are great.  If you go the .308 route, maybe consider some of the "low recoil" loads that are on the market.  I think though this would be an excellent excuse to get a .240 Weatherby.  Didn't someone say it is available now in the S2.  And the 6.5 Creedmoor would be a dandy as well.  I used to always look for an excuse to get another caliber.  Good luck.  MM

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 06:52:14 AM »
  I used to always look for an excuse to get another caliber.  Good luck.  MM

No doubt  8)
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
Mine is a H&R synthetic 25.06, shoots like a dream with hardly any recoil

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
I have a couple of rifles I've used as "loaners" over the years. Here's what I can tell you:

Loan out something with commonly available ammo. Keep some on hand and have the rifle zeroed for it.

Loan out a rifle in an easy-recoiling chambering like 270Win, 2r3Win, or 7mm-08Rem.

Expect to get your loaner back in worse shape than you lend it, every time. This has, without fail, happened with rifles I've loaned, even when I've cautioned the hunter to try to be careful. To that end, own a loaner rifle which doesn't have sentimental or aesthetic value to you. Good candidates are old rifles you refurb, or low-priced models like the Vanguard or others.

Set up your loaner with a 4lb trigger. Unfamiliar shooters are likely to insert their fingers into the trigger guard before being ready to fire. 4lbs is workable as a trigger, for precision enough to take game, but resistant to being bumped with a finger and releasing before the shooter is ready.

I've been trying to negotiate a good price (translation: a steal) on an old Rem700 ADL or a Vanguard, in 270Win, to set up as a dedicated loaner. Add an inexpensive (sub-$200) 3-9x40 and it would be a great loaner for any hunter. Could be set up with reduced frecoil ammo and shooters given a 100yd limit, and anyone could handle it.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
I have a couple of rifles I've used as "loaners" over the years. Here's what I can tell you:

Loan out something with commonly available ammo. Keep some on hand and have the rifle zeroed for it.

Loan out a rifle in an easy-recoiling chambering like 270Win, 2r3Win, or 7mm-08Rem.

Expect to get your loaner back in worse shape than you lend it, every time. This has, without fail, happened with rifles I've loaned, even when I've cautioned the hunter to try to be careful. To that end, own a loaner rifle which doesn't have sentimental or aesthetic value to you. Good candidates are old rifles you refurb, or low-priced models like the Vanguard or others.

Set up your loaner with a 4lb trigger. Unfamiliar shooters are likely to insert their fingers into the trigger guard before being ready to fire. 4lbs is workable as a trigger, for precision enough to take game, but resistant to being bumped with a finger and releasing before the shooter is ready.

I've been trying to negotiate a good price (translation: a steal) on an old Rem700 ADL or a Vanguard, in 270Win, to set up as a dedicated loaner. Add an inexpensive (sub-$200) 3-9x40 and it would be a great loaner for any hunter. Could be set up with reduced frecoil ammo and shooters given a 100yd limit, and anyone could handle it.

Man, you have just about summed up what I'm thinking to a tee. The main reason I'm looking at some of the real cheap rifles is not that I don't mind spending a little extra to get a nice Vanguard or Tikka... it's that I don't want be mad when the gun comes back to me banged up.

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:19 PM »
I wasn't pleased with the Savage Axis and sold it quickly. I am a Savage fan. The T/C compass changed my mind about ultra cheap rifles, under $300!  It is guaranteed sub moa and mine is.  Got mine extra cheap because of the 300 Win mag caliber. I did fill the hollow stock with "stuff". Calibers mentioned are all good ideas.  A loaner should include ammo and the 308 has to have the best cheap options.  I am a cheap bastard at heart!   ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
I wasn't pleased with the Savage Axis and sold it quickly. I am a Savage fan. The T/C compass changed my mind about ultra cheap rifles, under $300!  It is guaranteed sub moa and mine is.  Got mine extra cheap because of the 300 Win mag caliber. I did fill the hollow stock with "stuff". Calibers mentioned are all good ideas.  A loaner should include ammo and the 308 has to have the best cheap options.  I am a cheap bastard at heart!   ;D

Agreed. I plan on keeping ammo on hand for it and making sure it is zeroed when I hand it off, that is why want a common caliber.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »
I agree with a lot of these ideas, and would also loan a light to medium recoiling rifle,  that is accurate, topped with a 3x9x40 Bushnell, Weaver or Tasco (whose barrel finish, scope finish, and stock has had its share of outings and handling use ) That way a little abuse of your loaner won't aggravate you too much. My loaner is a 30-06 with a muzzle brake and a Tasco on top. I'm pretty maticullus about my things, so "if I didn't have a loaner", my policy for a friend, best friend, or the Pope, would be, scratch or damage it in any way and your buying it. With no agreement, no loan of any of my rifles, again if I didn't have a loaner, but thats just me.   
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 12:05:36 PM »
Danno, you are a man of both sound mind and rifle loaning policy.   :D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »
Hey Bad, what did you not like about the Axis? I know itís a cheap rifle but was there anything in particular that turned you off from it? Iím looking at an Axis II in 243 win for a loaner.

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
Accuracy sucked!  Yea, that is the number 1 thing, other than less than 2 moa , it was fine! I am a Savage fan  BTW ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:08:41 PM by badsection »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »
Ouch...

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »
T/C Compass if you can get a really good deal on one, comes in 243 Win, 22" barrel, 1/10 twist and suppose to be very accurate. If not, go with a used Wby vanguard and you'll have a life long loaner.
DosEquisShooter