Spike Camp

I think I might have lost a Weatherby

petey

• View Profile
I think I might have lost a Weatherby
« on: October 17, 2017, 05:46:21 AM »
My girls, 11 and 12, finally went through their firearms hunters safety course so they can get their licenses to hunt.  My 12 year old can hunt this year and we have been practicing with a little Parker 410 break action that an old timer loaned to her for pheasant season.  I can't wait!  She is exited for her first pheasant hunt in 2 weeks (well the first where she is shooting.  And I guarantee she gets the first shot at every bird because the guys I go with will be just as excited as I am.)

This past weekend, I realized I changed scopes on my .243 and I needed to sight it in for deer season for her.  We popped up to the range for a bit and I gotta everything sighted in and then let her at it.  She's a little thing, but loves shooting my Vanguard Sporter.  She was dead on at 50 yds (I sight in 2in high at 100yds).  Then she said, "but I'm using a shooting stick and sitting in a blind, so I need to practice that way."  No problem at all! 

We are both excited because she gets a crack at rifle season before everyone else. Junior hunting days run Nov 4 to 11 and I can't hunt til the 15th. I've always seen the most deer that first week in Nov and always on Veterans day.   She is ready! 

The only rub, I may have overstepped my proud papa bit and offered that she can 'have' the rifle if it works well for her if she sticks with hunting.  Yup, I'm pretty sure that one is no longer mine.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:07:45 AM by petey »

224KING

• View Profile
Re: I think I might have lost a Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:57:30 AM »
That'd be a good reason to buy yourself a 240 to replace the 243.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »
Glad we have another hunter out there Petey.Send us some picts of her kills when season starts. Tom had an excellent idea of you getting a replacement 240 Wby for yourself. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
Great shooting. wonderful to have another hunter in the group. A 240 would be a great addition, but according to your post I bet the 24o would be claimed by her and the 243 would go to the younger sister. So the way I see it there should be the 240 for this daughter. 243 for the younger sister, and that means a 257 weatherby for you because you have to have something, don't you? ;D

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
Petey,  +1 on buying 2 new Weatherbys. No doubt your younger daughter will want one  too. Best of Luck on her upcoming hunts.
Doug

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »
That is some seriously good shooting..........congrats to your daughter and the proud papa

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

rgam4272

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:38 PM »
Petey,
Thanks for sharing as it brings a smile to my face.  You are a very blessed man to have
raised another future hunter/shooter!  Good luck to her on her adventures afield!
Rg

badsection

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »
Petey,
Thanks for sharing as it brings a smile to my face.  You are a very blessed man to have
raised another future hunter/shooter!  Good luck to her on her adventures afield!
Rg
  +1   :)

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
That is bitter sweet. But more on the sweet side. Hope you loose it. But on the brite side you can always replace the rifle. Thats fun too. :)
Mark

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
I have a couple rifles that I can’t call my own anymore
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Thanks guys. I sure am lucky and I'm enjoying every second of it.

I already have a .240 and a .257 and that "I had to buy it because it was a great deal" rifle....  I'm happy to give it up, knowing it'll be in good hands.
My youngest doesn't think she wants to do the deer hunting thing, but who knows what next year will bring.  I told them both many times that if they decide they don't want to be hunters, they won't upset me.  At least they took the safety course and have the option of getting a license whenever they want. 

I'll be sure to post more pics of Abi and her first deer hunt.  We are going scouting and putting up her blind this weekend.