Spike Camp

MkV base and rings for new scope

MkV base and rings for new scope
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
Replacing scope on a Wby 300 Mag I acquired and puzzled by the way the rings are attached to the one piece base.  The front ring is held in place by two screws after the base of the ring is inserted.  But the rear ring is sitting on top of the base and seems to be held on only by a large screw on each side which slightly overlap the base.  Is that enough to hold the scope in place?  Please see the photos.  Notice the marks on the base of the rear ring.  Please advise if this is OK or what I should do next.  Thanks for your help.
Keep the shiny side up!

Re: MkV base and rings for new scope
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »
They will work fine.Been around a long time.Usually Leupold or Redfield.I have a 338 Win Mag set up that way for over 30 years and never a problem.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:34:42 PM »
Thanks Terminator.  Happy to find out that this setup is normal. Changing scopes as I am doing more hunting in the bush and a Leopold 1.5X6 is more usefull than the 4.5X14 that was mounted on my rifle before.  Thanks for the help.
Keep the shiny side up!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
Yes you wont have any trouble with that set up. Most of my rifles use a similar setup, just 2 piece bases not a one piece.
I even have them on my .460 WBY and it has never given me one bit of trouble.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
Conetrol makes the best projectionless rings and two piece bases. I have them on my Mark V 270 WM and my 340. They have been banged all over North America and are still rock solid. GJ
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:31:12 AM by GrandeJuan »