Spike Camp

Colorado drop camp

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Colorado drop camp
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
Update, I called and they dropped the price on the 340 accumark, it will be here in 5 to 8 days, will post pictures than

A bull elk and an Accumark in the same month. You have having a STRONG October .257!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
Update, I called and they dropped the price on the 340 accumark, it will be here in 5 to 8 days, will post pictures than

Good Choice!! As you know the .338 is a good calibre and the .340 is an excellent one. If you fell in love with your .338 for elk well I suggest you buy a ring now as you are going to want to marry the .340 WBY! lol.

Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »

Good Choice!! As you know the .338 is a good calibre and the .340 is an excellent one. If you fell in love with your .338 for elk well I suggest you buy a ring now as you are going to want to marry the .340 WBY! lol.

I better want until she gets here so l can measure the barrel to get a tight fit on that ring 😁
Do you have any pet loads you would like to share?
Mike

Cody Hanby

• ♥ Phở ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »
nice bull!

from your post i take it that this is a better year for elk than last year? my dad just headed out on friday for his elk hunt with our hunting buddy... i opted out this year in favor of a trip to europe... only so much money to go around. last year we didnt see any elk, but we saw some amazing views. hopefully this year they see more and bring home some elk!
Cody Hanby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 04:23:40 AM »
nice bull!

from your post i take it that this is a better year for elk than last year? my dad just headed out on friday for his elk hunt with our hunting buddy... i opted out this year in favor of a trip to europe... only so much money to go around. last year we didnt see any elk, but we saw some amazing views. hopefully this year they see more and bring home some elk!

Hope your dad and friend do well and have a safe trip

Elk hunting is hunting, has a lot to do with the area you are in and the year. Rainfall and livestock in the area can all have its effect on the year. Where do you guys go?
Mike

Cody Hanby

• ♥ Phở ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
nice bull!

Hope your dad and friend do well and have a safe trip

Elk hunting is hunting, has a lot to do with the area you are in and the year. Rainfall and livestock in the area can all have its effect on the year. Where do you guys go?
update: dan (our hunting buddy) got a cow earlier today. the attached image shows their general area.
Cody Hanby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 03:55:07 AM »
That is good news with the cow.
I have not hunted, but have hiked some of that country, looked good for Elk and bighorn sheep when l was there
Mike

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
Congratulations, my first trip to Colorado was to the Flattops North of Gypsum. I learned to pack a lot lighter after hat trip.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
Yes 257 I do have a few pet loads for the .340 WBY. My main load uses the 225gr TSX and 86 grains of AR2213sc (H4831)
Or 86 grains of RE19 with that same 225gr TSX. I get right on 3000 fps out of my MKV Lazermark  with sub moa groups.
I have taken a few critters with those loads like water buffalo scrub bulls banteng and pigs here in Australia then had great success on lion, lioness and plains plains game in Africa.
I have also used the 250gr TSX on water buffalo and scrub bulls but i found the 225gr pill hit harder and penetrated much deeper than the heavier one.
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
BB340 I figured you would ;D ;D, first off thanks for sharing, the loads and the info on performance
I will be trying the 225 TTSX first, mainly because I have a lot of them, that's what I used in the 338 with great success.

Thanks again for the info
I will be picking the gun up tomorrow
Mike

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Congratulations on the elk hunt.  A little late but I will chime in anyway.   I really don't think the elk is going to know a whole lot of difference between the 2 calibers it really depends on how accurate the rifle is,  how comfortable you are shooting either caliber, and which one you want.   

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed this hunt and is definitely a repeat hunt for me.

The .257 will take an elk as it proved it on this hunt. But I would still be a little concerned about a quartering toward you shot where you had to break that shoulder and still penetrate with a good sized wound channel. I did pass on a shot at a 5pt bull moving thru the trees, figured I would hit him in the shoulder or chest just not sure where!! That is why I picked up my new to me accumark .340 today
Mike

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
I would chose my 325 WSM on a elk hunt. Accuracy and penetration is not a question. Last time I hunted elk was in grizzly territory. We made bad jokes about SSS, shoot the bear, shovel (BURY) and silence. Because one hunter in our group questioned that, I said if he knew where the bear was buried , he must have shot it.25 years later, I am still friends with the outfitter that heard the conversation.   :)