Spike Camp

Colorado elk hunt update

Colorado elk hunt update
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:19 AM »
Every day my buddy glassed between about 50-200 elk in different bunches on the mountains across the valley (it was a good 45 minute ATV ride to get there by trails), unfortunately there is no off trail ATV travel allowed. It took about an hour to hike up the mountain to were we observed the elk feeding 3 days in a row. Three times I drove and then hiked up the mountains to glass and then hopefully shoot a cow elk out of a small bunch we had observed in different areas feeding, unfortunately they either moved on or had bedded down before I arrived each time.

On Wednesday morning before it warmed up enough to pack up for the trip home, we observed 2 additional groups feeding were I had been standing the day before. The highlight of the trip was still hunting in the snow within 30 yards of a huge bull moose that was feeding in a patch of thistles, we also saw 5 other moose feeding in the mountain willow patches.

Every time I go elk hunting in Colorado something bad happens and this time it was the worst. On Tuesday my daughter called and said my wife had been admitted to the hospital with a blocked intestine, they found cancer again too but no plan of attack yet until the blockage is cleared. So I cut my trip short by 5 days and am at the hospital after a 1,400 mile drive.
Doug

Re: Colorado elk hunt update
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
So sorry to hear that Doug.Prayers sent for your wife.Keep us updated.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:41:41 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

3X8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
 :(

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
Bugger mate very sorry to hear that. But I am sure all will turn out ok.
Aussie gun nut.

badsection

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:30 PM »
Some times, some things are more important than our guns.  Best wishes, Blackbear3!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that Doug.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Doug.......God speed to your wife my friend

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »
There will be other elk hunts, but first things first. Prayers for a good diagnosis and speedy recovery. God bless.
DosEquisShooter

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
You have your priorities in order, my friend. We will be praying for quick resolution and skilled care.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
Prayers for you and your wife

zonie

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife,  will keep her in our prayers hope for the best.  More important things than elk hunting when it comes to things like this.   We had to cancel my wife's elk hunt also.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
Thanks everyone, she has had a tough time off it but she is a fighter. She keeps saying don't worry God has a plan!!!
Doug

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »
Doug sorry about your wife. i will keep her in my prayers.How is your friend doing? i hope he is ok and will keep him in my prayers also.
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
Unfortunately Brians pace maker/defibrillator had gone off 4 times in the 6 weeks before my elk hunting trip, so his Dr suggested he not go with since it was a good 2 hour drive to the nearest hospital. They think his meds are in conflict and need adjusting.
No plan of attack on the tumor partially blocking my wife's intestine, hopefully by Monday we'll know. Hope all is well with your health to Derrill!!!
Doug