Spike Camp

Help with my Mark 5

Help with my Mark 5
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »
So I recently purchased the mark v outfitter and put a
Leupold vx5hd 3x12x44 on it. My issue is that when the scope was mounted the individual mounting the scope was telling me my downward elevation was maxed out and the bore sight was showing my 0 being high ( he was lazor bore sighting in a room no more then 25 yards). So he shimmed the scope by placing a shim in the front ring of the scope and said the bore sight was reading close to dead on. So I take the gun to my property and try to set a true 0 at 100 yards and I'm roughly 10 inches high with absolutely no wiggle room to set the elevation down (the CDS dial is off at this point so I can set a 100 yard 0). Frustrated I called leupold and they are sending me shims that will go underneath the base of the front ring. Do you think this will fix my issue? After spending so much and doing so much research this is a bit frustrating, thank you guys!

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my Mark 5
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
Personally I would take the Leupold mounts off and try a set of 1 pc Talleys.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
Personally I would take the Leupold mounts off and try a set of 1 pc Talleys.

I would triple check I had the right rings/bases, if so, then have the scope checked.

Talley does seem to go hand and hand with WBY rifles...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:01:43 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:06:35 AM »
If you're using Leupold mounts, I'd be willing to bet Blackbear is right. I've stopped using Leupold mounts because too many sets have had QC issues.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:55:12 AM »
Something's not right, obviously...more than just a QC issue with the bases.  Are the rings the same height?  Mt first guess woyld be the guy used mis-matched rings.  If the rings check out, I'd guess its a scope issue.  It should boresight at 25 yards.  Shimming a base isn't the way to go.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
For what its worth,  I use bases and rings from Ken Farrell Industries.  You wont find any better.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
Last year I bought a new ultralight. I had the same problem with height adjustment. But get this I first put on talley mounts ran out of adjustment then switched to leupold bases every thing worked out fine go figure

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
So the rings are medium dual dove tail and it would be hard to believe that the scope isn't right , I purchased it directly from leupold.This is extremely frustrating thanks for the responses and help

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 11:31:58 AM »
Do you have another scoped rifle. If yes you could try your Leopold on that rifle so as to check and see if the scope is the problem. 

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
Last year I bought a new ultralight. I had the same problem with height adjustment. But get this I first put on talley mounts ran out of adjustment then switched to leupold bases every thing worked out fine go figure
was the scope you mounted a 3x15x44? And what size rings are you using for your ultra light when you finally got it to work?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
It wouldn't be hard for me to believe a brand new Leupold is bad, nor that a set of mounts is a mismatched, ill-fit pair of pieces of crap. Leupold QC is garbage, IMO. I've seen several scopes fail straight out of the box. Start by putting a straight edge on the bases to see if they align. Do the same with the bottom ring halves. Then swap scopes with a known-goodifferent setup and see what happens.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
I agree completely with Dubyam.  This past week I ran into the same exact problem when I went to mount a brand new Leupold VX2 2x7x33 scope on my .460 Weatherby Magnum.  When I mounted it I leveled the rifle, checked the mount for level, used low rings, checked the alignment of the rings with a Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment and Lapping Kit, mounted the scope, and tightened it down using feeler gauges to make sure the gap on each side of the rings was even and used a Weaver Torque Wrench Screwdriver to tighten down the screws.  I might have taken it to the extreme but this is the way I always mount scopes.  When I bore sighted it I was four clicks left and had to go down and ran out of adjustment and was still four inches high according to the bore sighter, which my Dad bought years ago and has never given us a problem.  I called Leupold and the first guy I talked with said shim it and I said hell no I'm not shimming a scope especially one on a .460 Weatherby Magnum.  Needless to say he got on my bad side real quick and I ended up hanging up and calling back.  The second guy said check that I have the right bases and I told him I'm certain I do and everything I did to mount the scope and he said to get the scope to ocular center and check to see how much adjustment was left.  To do this he said to take the scope in a bright room, press it to a mirror, look through it as I would if it was mounted on a rifle, I'll see two sets of crosshairs, and turn the adjustments until the crosshairs line up, then check to see how much adjustment is left .  Now I was getting really mad and mounted a different scope which I had taken off a different rifle and it bore sighted no problem and had plenty of adjustment left.  Well this lead to the third phone call and after I explained everything to him he said, "well that narrows it down, send the scope in to get checked out".  I have no doubt in my mind that my scope is screwed up inside and would be willing to bet your's is also.  I wouldn't give it a second thought and send it right back to them to have it looked at and fixed.  Yeah it might be a pain and cost some but you spent good money on something that isn't right.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »
Sounds like someone sold you the wrong bases.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 06:22:31 AM »
My scope is a leupold 3.5 x10 vx3i 1 inch rings. I called talley about the problem and they said check the bases maybe they sent the wrong ones. I had a extra set of leupold bases so I tried that first. I never bothered with talley  after that.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:05:54 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you're out of down adjustment the shim should be under the rear mount (by the bolt handle) because that raises the rear of the scope and causes the front to be tipped down.  If a shim was put under the front mount (by the barrel) it would raise the front of the scope and cause the elevation to be even higher. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.