Spike Camp

load development using rl26 in .30-378 weath. accumark

load development using rl26 in .30-378 weath. accumark
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
  I started this as sort of a trouble shooting mission. I will explain. I began reloading the .30-378 weath. using weatherby brass cases,180 gr. bal.tips,hodgdon's retumbo,and federal 215 match primers. My velocity was always lower than I anticipated,being only around 3357 fps with my maximum for this rifle. Case life was short,but accuracy was amazing with group size running under 1/2 inch when I did my part. So I stuck with the aforementioned components. I started out with a charge of 112 grains of retumbo in the beginning with mild pressure signs little buy little through out this coarse over the years I kept inching my charges down until last year I was at 110 grains for my max. I kept getting pressure spikes half way through a box of reloads with hard bolt lift etc.,up until last year I was able to get 3 loadings out of my brass when all of a sudden I experienced these same random pressure spikes but instead over half my brass was junk after 1 loading due to over expansion of the belt which would not chamber.I was confused; I'd tell my self man your running hot,or the brass was softer than the norm,or was I not using enough lube on my dies,was my ex-pander distorting shoulder causing this. I ran all sorts of measurements,different scenarios in my head,not wanting to really blame any of the components,although I had my suspicions I totally laid the blame on my loading procedures. So this year I decided to scrap every thing that I had been doing and start new. Hornady brass,new bushing dies,new powder. Through my research on other forums rl26 was rewriting history so to speak. Higher velocity's with literally non existing high pressure signs,seems every one was blown away. I definitely wanted to give that powder a try. I had used alliant powders in some of my other rifle calibers with quite a few pet loads to date,and had never had these pressure swings like I have with retumbo;still scratching my head. The advice I was given that rl26 was just a tad hotter than h-1000 and to start with 2grains under any H-1000 data and work up from there. Hodgdon reloading data for 180 grain bullet was listed starting with min.of 105 grains to 111 grains for max. All brass was prepped and ready-ed,chrony and shooting bench all set up for my load development. Starting load was 103 grains of rl26 which didn't record on chrony,had to make slight adjustment, no pressure signs,by the way first loads are with 185 bergers. AS follows; 104 grains-3422fps. 105 grains-3436 fps; 106 grains-3490fps;still no pressure signs. 107 grains-3487fps,chrony starting to talk to me;but absolutely no pressure signs,fired cases re-chamber and extract easily,measured case all with in specs.108 grains-3496fps,chrony tells me I've hit max. no sense trying to continue this ladder climb; still no outward high pressure indicators,all is with in normal measured specs,fired case chambers easily,no sticky bolt,no extractor marks,primer looks good,no cratering etc. But these bergers are all over the place,check receiver,all's tight,scope mounts are all good,so plan b. This rifle has always loved those nosler bal.tips,so I start over with them. This time I start middle of load work up with 106 grains with 3487fps,3fps less than berger at 3490fps,still no high pressure indicators,107 grains-3536fps,still no indication of high pressure,the velocity is awesome,I tell my self thats what I'm talking about. I now have these two rounds 3/4 inch apart 4 inches high above bull,time to send another down range at 107 grains-3549fps that hits in the middle of the last 2 rounds and measuring 1/2 inch from the last at 107 grains. I tell my rifle that's a girl,thats what your capable of. I believe,I know I have found my load. Later on I will get into more detail about my components, I got to go for now ,work needs done before this day's done for me. Sorry for being long winded, I'll come back to this,just duty calls. ctw                     

Re: load development using rl26 in .30-378 weath. accumark
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
Thanks for posting. Great info. I would have thought it would have been a little fast for this caliber, but I stand corrected. If you try RL 26 with the 200 gr bullets please post your results.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
Barrel length on your rifle?

When my new barrel is on, Im going to try rl33 first - I think that will be the best for the long pipe - but I might try rl26 as well.  30-378 is made to go fast.  Hell, my 300 is launching 168 grain Bergers at 3550...the 30-378 best do the same or better with 190s, or what's the point?

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
   Barrel length is 26" just as it came from the factory. As for .30-378 built for speed and flat trajectory,I couldn't agree more. Certainly A cartridge with a lot of potential with a lot of bench rest history. Canadian re-loader, a 200 gr. nosler accubond is definitely a bullet I have considered. If pushed to velocity's capable of with this new powder, that would certainly be quite the long range combination for just about any big game. But to answer your question; of course I would post those results.  ctw

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »
I'm running 113 RL 22 with a Barnes TTSX 130 gr bullet.  4042 fps.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »
I'm glad it's working out for you.  If you still have some of the old brass I'd load three or four of them with RL26 and see if you still have the issues you had before with the brass, that way it'll help you eliminate that as the source of your problem.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »
    Chris, yes indeed; that is something I had contemplated on doing sometime this winter. Next 2-3 weeks are going to be busy around here; as our pa. deer season opener is this monday. But yes thanks for the suggestion. ctw 

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
Roy was testing this round in the mid 50's.His rifle was a single shot bolt action with a 30 inch bull barrel installed.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
I will be testing V-N570 soon.
"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

My blog: Please Comment and Follow