Spike Camp

Starting Ammo for .223 Rem Vanguard

CJB

Starting Ammo for .223 Rem Vanguard
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:11:57 PM »
Hi All,

This is my first post here.  After 3 years patiently waiting I finally found the Vanguard S2 in .223 Rem I've been wanting.  The rifle is "like new" but used and looks to be in very good shape.  I have the scope and rings ordered so now I'm trying to decide what factory ammunition to start out with.  I know each rifle has a mind of it's own but thought I'd ask some members here what factory ammo has worked well for them.  Beats guessing.

The rifle will be used mostly for range fun.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:14:29 PM by CJB »

Re: Starting Ammo for .223 Rem Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!! I don't have a Vanguard in .223, but ammo is cheap in .223 so I'd pick up a variety and try it. My KORSTOG liked the lighter grain offerings from American Eagle.
Doug

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
I also don't have an S2 in 223.I have had excellent luck with Black Hills 55 grain SP and Fiocchi in different weights in other brands of 223 rifles.Both have 50 round boxes relatively cheap for their quality.Good luck and have fun experimenting.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

CJB

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!! I don't have a Vanguard in .223, but ammo is cheap in .223 so I'd pick up a variety and try it. My KORSTOG liked the lighter grain offerings from American Eagle.

Well I have to admit I have no idea what a "KORSTOG" is...ya got me there!

One thing for sure....233 isn't as cheap as it used to be.  Seems everybody is loading some kind of "Premium" bullet these days.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:04:15 AM »

Well I have to admit I have no idea what a "KORSTOG" is...ya got me there!

One thing for sure....233 isn't as cheap as it used to be.  Seems everybody is loading some kind of "Premium" bullet these days.
CJB, it's an AR made by Adam Arms. I picked one up at Fleet Farm when they were on clearance for 50% off. Like Terminator said start with some 55 grainers and see what happens and if you'd like to share your results even better.
Doug

CJB

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
Well I received some partly bad news a bout this rifle today.  Apparently the original twist rate for the .223 Rem S2 was 1:12 and was changed to 1:9 later on.  The rifle I have on lay-away is the 1:12 barrel based on serial number...which is a bummer!  Now I'm not sure I want it...I'll have to do a little thinking on it as I expect that to limit my ammo choices a bit.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 03:33:31 AM »
Should still stabilize bullets up to 60 grains easily.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

CJB

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:46 PM »
Hope so...I might even e able to push it up to 64 gr if I'm lucky.

It just shouldn't be that much trouble for gun companies to stamp the twist rate on the gun.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
It just shouldn't be that much trouble for gun companies to stamp the twist rate on the gun.
[/quote]

I agree.Especially if they are making them with multiple rates of twist
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »

I agree.Especially if they are making them with multiple rates of twist
[/quote]

+1
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
My 223 is a 1:12 twist and it doesn't shoot anything over 60 grains accurately. (admittedly some 1:12's will) Some lay-away's have a fixed restock fee or penalty for holding it back from sale to other customers. If the penalty is not much I'd hold off and get the 1:9 Weatherby which would probably be accurate from 32 to 77+ grains. I was at Bass Pro last year to buy a 257 Wby on sale, and asked about the 223. That Mgr. said he would talk to his distributor about ordering the 223 in the 1:9 twist and if I wanted it he would honor the current sale price. If I had the money I would have done it, but I don't know if the distributor could have ordered it or not.
DosEquisShooter

CJB

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
My 223 is a 1:12 twist and it doesn't shoot anything over 60 grains accurately. (admittedly some 1:12's will) Some lay-away's have a fixed restock fee or penalty for holding it back from sale to other customers. If the penalty is not much I'd hold off and get the 1:9 Weatherby which would probably be accurate from 32 to 77+ grains. I was at Bass Pro last year to buy a 257 Wby on sale, and asked about the 223. That Mgr. said he would talk to his distributor about ordering the 223 in the 1:9 twist and if I wanted it he would honor the current sale price. If I had the money I would have done it, but I don't know if the distributor could have ordered it or not.

Thanks.  What kind of accuracy do you get with the ammo it likes?

After deliberation, I've decided to go with it.  If it doesn't work out, I can trade it in for another or rebarrel.  I'm not getting it to hunt with; all I need is good accuracy on paper to 300 yds and the ability to ring that little plate at 500.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
CJ, For starters, I bought the cheapest US brand name ammo in 55gr. fmj at the time. (American Eagle) That stuff shot lights out at 25 and 100 yds. Then I tried the bit higher dollar Winchester, Remington, Hornady, and federal all in 55gr. Turned out the Federal blue box 55 gr. soft points hit within a half inch of the of the American Eagle fmj point of impact, and also grouped as tight, so I stopped looking for ammo. The other brands shot good kill shot groups, but not as tight as the Federal blue box. I use this ammo on deer and hogs out to 100 yards, no farther cause I'm a neck shooter and I trust myself at that range. The 223 could probably do it out a bit farther, but it loses the energy needed out past 100 yards to make a clean kill on game animals. I would definitely try it on coyotes out past 100 yds, just haven't had the opportunity when I've had the 223 in hand. (all of the lighter grain ammo shoots moa or better, but I would still like to have a 1:9 twist 223)
DosEquisShooter

CJB

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 12:09:07 PM »
CJ, For starters, I bought the cheapest US brand name ammo in 55gr. fmj at the time. (American Eagle) That stuff shot lights out at 25 and 100 yds. Then I tried the bit higher dollar Winchester, Remington, Hornady, and federal all in 55gr. Turned out the Federal blue box 55 gr. soft points hit within a half inch of the of the American Eagle fmj point of impact, and also grouped as tight, so I stopped looking for ammo. The other brands shot good kill shot groups, but not as tight as the Federal blue box. I use this ammo on deer and hogs out to 100 yards, no farther cause I'm a neck shooter and I trust myself at that range. The 223 could probably do it out a bit farther, but it loses the energy needed out past 100 yards to make a clean kill on game animals. I would definitely try it on coyotes out past 100 yds, just haven't had the opportunity when I've had the 223 in hand. (all of the lighter grain ammo shoots moa or better, but I would still like to have a 1:9 twist 223)

Just to pass on some info, I have had several folks tell me they've had good results with Federal American Eagle 50 gr plastic tip.