Spike Camp

All around medium/big game rifle

All around medium/big game rifle
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:05:49 AM »
I'm looking to purchase one rifle that can pretty much do it all (deer, antelope, elk, & moose). The two calibers that keep getting the the most attention from me are the 6.5-300 & 30-378. Any thoughts out there in the nation.

ctw

Re: All around medium/big game rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »
,   All that your asking of a rifle cartridge or caliber to do from deer on up to including moose, the .30-378 gets the nod from me. The .30-378 can be loaded up or down for any of the wide variety of game you had mentioned,and also can be had in factory form also,albeit for a premium price. Others are going to come on here and sing the virtues of the 6.5 weatherby,although an excellent round, with different constructed bullets, for what you want I'd go for the .30-378. ctw

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »
Either of them will do the job as will the .340 Weatherby Magnum and .300 Weatherby Magnum.  The most "practical" would be the .300 Weatherby Magnum because the ammo is easier to find since most gun shops carry it because it's such a popular caliber and a bit cheaper.  Restricting it to the two calibers you mentioned I'd go with the .30-378 Weatherby Magnum because it's more versatile because of the wide variety of bullets you can load into it.  In reality it's not hard to kill a Moose or Elk and can be done with a .270 Winchester or .30-06 as long as you place your shots properly.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:59 AM »
Unless you're locked into the two you mentioned, I'd start with understanding your shooting experience and recoil tolerance. The 30-378 will be significant in recoil, so if you're not a seasoned shooter with good form and recoil tolerance, it may not be the best choice. These same concerns apply to a lesser degree with the 340 and 300Wby, as well. You could do all you're wanting to do, at normal hunting ranges (not long range like out beyond 500yds), with a variety of rounds, ranging from the 30-06 or 270Win, to the 7mmRemMag, and a variety of others. My personal choice would be either the 270Wby or the 300Wby, depending on recoil tolerance and personal preference. I wouldn't feel at all undergunned with my 270Wby on any game in North America, with the exception of the great bears, which aren't on your list, either. But neither would I feel overgunned with my 300Wby.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »
Nothing wrong with the 2 choices you mentioned, but if it was me and I wanted one caliber to do it all it would be the 7MM Weatherby. Great cartridge. With mine the 145 Barnes LRX loaded to 3327 ft/sec will handle the deer sized game and for the bigger moose sized game I load the 175 gr Hornady Interlock to 3157 ft/sec.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
I've been receiving quite a bit of feedback about the 7mm WBY, & it's definitely gotten my attention. I might have to widen my search!

ctw

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »
   I agree 100% with what every one on here has said,when you throw all the other calibers in the mix. The recoil of the .30-378 really shouldn't factor in on this,as it is standard equipment from the factory with weatherby's accubrake,which tames the recoil down to a very tolerable degree. Although keep in mind the brakes can be very loud. The topic on brakes can lead to a whole different discussion. ctw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
Antelope to Moose that's a tall order. My .257 has taken Antelope to Elk but Moose I am not so sure. Not really sure about the Elk either, but it worked fine.
I would go with a 7mm weatherby as mentioned before. Second choice 340 weatherby, you could load a 185 grain barnes for the antelope and deer. 225 grain for elk and moose
300 weatherby would be fine but I have never been a 30 caliber fan so it would not be my choice
Mike

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
I'm guessing you won't be hunting moose very often, so I'm going to suggest you go with the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The recoil on the 6.5-300 is a lot easier on the shooter then your other choice, so how you handle it could make a big difference. The price of 30-378 is considerably more to, so if you reload would influence your decision too. The 6.5-300 is perfect for deer and antelope and the occasional larger game you mentioned.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »
Hmmm.Best all around I would have to go with the 300 Wby.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »
7mm Weatherby Mag. or 300 Weatherby Mag.  I own both.  If forced to choose one it would be the 300.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:29 PM »
Practical answer is .300 something... WBY, Win, WSM, etc.... with .300 Win being most practical of all. Who wants that though??  8)  Personal answer would be .270 WBY.  To each their own! Both choices you mentioned would do the job and all the other recommendations are great too. You seem to be on the right track. Get a caliber you are interested in, in a rifle model you really, really want. You’ll be happy for a long time.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »
If it were up to me, I'd say buy 2 rifles. I'm not a huge fan of loading down, but I know that's personal preferance. While there are cartridges that can get the job done across the spectrum you mentioned, I'd look for 2 chamberings designed for either end, with some overlap in the middle.

I know many people's finances can't take buying 2 Mark Vs at once, so I'd buy the one most needed first, likely deer/antelope caliber. If it were me, I'd get a 257 WBY. 6.5-300 is a good choice too. Bullet selection with be key as the velocitiss are likely to be extreme. Either cartridge, or a 270/7mm WBY, would be great for medium game at all practical distances, and get you into elk should the opportunity arise.

Next I'd get a gun for those occasional hunts like moose or big bears. 340 WBY would be my choice there. The larger diameter is good for ensuring shock when the bullet hits.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."