Spike Camp

B-n-laws new deer stand rafters and shingles included

B-n-laws new deer stand rafters and shingles included
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:56:14 PM »
B-N-law sent me this pict of his stand he just got up today.Err notice the somewhat square cut out in the plywood side wall.He tore down the boys old tree house and stacked the lumber under the back of the carport where we clean deer last year.Plywood was up against wood post of the carport and all the other lumber stacked against it.Time to winch up the first deer for cleaning this year and we couldn't turn the winch handle because of the plywood.Told my nephew (his son) to push it and I would pull it.Nothing moved.Seems he had screwed it into the post.My nephew goes to his truck and comes back with a chainsaw and looks at me.I give the thumbs up.Problem solved for us. ;D First purpose built deer stand we have had on the place with rafters and shingles.Dont ask me why it is open all the way around for wind and rain to come in and no cover.I ain't going to say a thing to him about that.Think he will figure it out next weekend though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:22:01 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Re: B-n-laws new deer stand rafters and shingles included
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
You sure that's a deer stand?

I think he built an out house. ;D ;D
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »
In northern lower Michigan we hunt out of shacks on private property. Some are elevated most are not. We never do deer drives, we feel it just scares the deer out of the area.
We have carpet on the floors and on the walls for both warmth and silence. Our windows are small and offset to prevent deer to see movement inside. We have plexiglass windows and open them when it's warm or as soon as it is light enough to see. Because of the cold everyone has heaters. I prefer to sit all day for at least the first 3-4 days. Most hunt from daylight to about 10am and then back in the shack around 2-3pm. I have shot several bucks at noon. I wait all year for the few weeks of rifle season so sitting all day is my enjoyment. It's peaceful and so relaxing. I use my binoculars all the time looking for movement as far back in the woods as I can. I like 8x56 binoculars for steady holding and low light of dawn and dusk. I watch birds and squirrels, snowshoe bunnies, fox, coyotes and bobcats. After the first five or six days I will shoot coyotes if I see them. I wait until the end of the day to pick them up and take them to my fur shed to skin and put them up on stretchers.
I let all immature bucks and does move through and towards the end of the season, I will shoot a doe for meat. It is interesting to note that the big does are as wary as any big buck. Some even more so. Unless the big bucks are chasing does, they move and act completely different than the other deer. They rarely stop in open areas moving quickly through and constantly looking toward their back trail. Using binoculars all the time allows me to spot them in the brush and gives me time to get ready before they reach the the shooting lanes. I love everything about sitting all day in the north woods. It's so relaxing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:19:56 AM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 06:51:38 AM »
If your ground blind is made from the kid's playhouse,"You may be a Redneck." Just kidding Roger! Seriously, besides not keeping the wind and rain out, your inviting critters like mice, coons, possums, and owls to leave their crap in your blind. Tinted plexiglass with window latches would still give a clear view and not be expensive. He'll probably kill the biggest buck on the place out of that blind though. LoL!
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
Michigan Hunter: Sounds like you have a great set up.Post some inside and outside pictures when you have a chance.
Dan:I know.lol
Roger

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
Might need a jug of doe piss - the bucks are gonna smell you that low.
Come and take it.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
Here is one I picked up for my little bow hunting place a few weeks ago. It will be for XBow use.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:28 AM »
Nice, looks downright warm and cozy,fully enclosed. Easy to picture a bow and a thermos of hot coffee sitting in there.
Come and take it.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »
That is a nice one DW5.Like the shelves in it.
Roger

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
Going to equip it with a Mr. Heater Little Buddy too. I know I'm becoming a spoiled whitetail hunter when I start considering things like shelf space and ability to hold in heat... ;D ;D ;D  I still probably enjoy active days of lots of moving and still hunting/ spot and stalk more than anything else, but sometimes stands really are the only practical way to hunt a place. Especially a small place that is very open like this one. I used to make my stands just about as primitive as possible but I abandoned that notion somewhere along the way. 1. If you are gonna be there may as well be as comfortable as possible, that leads to less movement/longer sits for me. 2. I began to figure if I am going to put in all the time/effort to make a place as conducive as possible to get a deer, I might as well do that on the back end too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:53:55 AM by DW5 »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
 Gotta add though, I do still seem to remember some hunts more fondly looking back on them on the occasions I create a little makeshift "spot" like the one Terminator connected from earlier this year. I'd also think it would be cool to build a stand out of material on hand like your B-n-Law did and have success from it. Each hunt is it's own story!

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
You guys sure hunt in style.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member