Spike Camp

Idaho hunt results

Idaho hunt results
« on: November 11, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »
I thought I'd let the Nation know how we did in Idaho this October. I know we all heard about the severe winter last year in Idaho, Montana & Wyoming but we still had to give it a try. Game was noticeably down as we had a hard time finding very much. We did end up getting 3 critters though, a spike whitetail, 4 point muley and a spike bull elk. While scouting I had 2 very nice muledeer (22" wide 4x4s) 50 yards from me the day before the season opened, no rifle in my hands so no shooting occurred. Then the first day of muledeer season I had a nice 3x3 bull elk walk 30 yards in front of me but since elk season was still 5 days away I watched him walk away, he never even knew I was there. I didn't get to fire a shot but still had a good time there. A good thing about our group, we equally share all the meat we get with each other so we all take meat home. I'm hoping this winter isn't quite as bad as last winter and they will be able to recuperate. I was really hoping to see the 6.5-300 hand out some dirt naps, maybe next year.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

Re: Idaho hunt results
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:44:47 PM »
Sorry you didn't get to try out the 6.5-300 but sounds like a good time anyway.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Last winter was hard in a lot of areas in the west. Glad to see you had a good time anyway. Hunting isn't always about taking an animal.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
Great time in the field is not measure by what we get, but by the great time spent in the outdoors with friends & family.  Too bad you didn't get anything, but glad you had a great time after all. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
Bummer, but its funny how hunts like that just make you more determined to get back there do it again. Better luck next time.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
I was wondering how you did in Idaho, glad to hear you had a great time and your group had some luck. My 6.5-300 has been quiet this year too and hopefully will get a chance to bark next year.
Doug

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Sorry you didn't get to christen the 6.5-300 but it sounds like you had a good time anyway. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:30:39 AM »
Don't feel too bad since your not alone. I also struck out but it was by choice since I didn't want to take a whitetail doe As you know we have plenty here at home we can shoot and just couldn't justify the expense of transporting it home when I can shoot one in my own back yard.
I did see a couple of wolves and had one with in 20yds from me which was a little too close for comfort. He spooked one of the does I was watching waiting for a buck to step out.
TD

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
I didn’t do good in Idaho. Scenery was nice though
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member