Spike Camp

Back to wyoming/ .257

Re: Back to wyoming/ .257
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:26 PM »
I really kind of like that people don't think they taste good. Less hunters in the field ;D ;D ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
Getting it done this year! Nice buck, nice rifle, nice pics. How do you make use of antelope, ie.. field prep, then what do you make with the meat?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
Nice goat, gun, scope and caliber ........congrats

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
Thanks everyone, it was a fun hunt this year.

As far as the meat and prep. First off I only take calm animals. If they have been running for any distance from other hunters or whatever I will pass. Antelope have several glands that give off a bad taste if you take one that is excited.
As always make and good clean shot.
Than get the animal skinned and on ice as quickly as possible. I carry a 100 qt cooler empty and a 50 qt cooler with ice with me. Skinner quarter and put in the 100 qt cooler and add lots of ice to cool it down.
As far as processing, I cut the best steaks and grind the rest into hamburger. Nothing special. I don't add anything to my hamburger either, with any wild game

Couple of favorites, steaks in the slower cooker with Lipton onion soup mix
Hamburgers on the grill with Grill Mates Worcestershire Pub Burger seasoning

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »
Never had antelope. I would like to try it.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 10:22:25 AM »
great looking speed goat  8)  I don't mind eating to meat, I marinade and grill the backstraps, jerky to hind quarters, and I make the rest into sausages, mixed with deer and 50% pork. I do it this way, because after you use the backstraps and hind quarters, there is not a lot of meat left, and I don't like making a small batch of sausages up.

Rob

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »
I know I was at the end of the season. When I went to move the antelope, grabbed it by the horns and pulled the horn right off. Pulled on the other one and it came off also

The biggest antelope in the herd body wise, was another buck, and he had lost his horns already.