Spike Camp

Hornady 110 Grain ELDX

Hornady 110 Grain ELDX
« on: November 13, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »

Re: Hornady 110 Grain ELDX
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
I like the ELD-X. At least on paper. The 212 grain shoots lights out accurate in my 300 WIN. Still haven't found any unbaised/unpaid reviews of how they do on game, especially up close at magnum velocities.

I will say I'm glad a bullet manufacturer is giving the 25 caliber love with a high(er) BC bullet. 257 WBY and 25-06 are underrated at mid-distance because of the relatively low BC bullets. But those of us who shoot quater bore know they can reach out and touch something when called upon.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:42:28 PM »
I'll be trying these out in my .257 next deer season, but I can't help but wonder why Hornady down-loads the .257 Wby Mag (as compared to Weatherby factory loads)?

I'm hopeful that soon there will be a hunting bullet with a G1 BC in the .5XX range, which would really help us out at the longer ranges.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
I'm hopeful that soon there will be a hunting bullet with a G1 BC in the .5XX range, which would really help us out at the longer ranges.

I don't know for sure, but I've read that most 25 cal's twist rate (typically 1 in 10) is the reason why there are still no really high BC bullets. The twist rate is too slow to stabilize the long bullets needed.

Maybe a ballistics/gunsmithing expert will chime in...
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."