Spike Camp

Hard chambering

Hard chambering
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:10:36 AM »
257wby Vanguard S2
Any idea what could be causing this? All my cases are trimmed to proper length and bullet is not touching rifling but its a little hard to lock the bolt down on some of my reloads.

I am full length sizing with RCBS dies but barely bumping the shoulder back. I'm thinking that may be the culprit but not really sure. Never had the problem with my 270win or 7mm-08

badsection

Re: Hard chambering
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »
I would bet you are bumping the shoulder a bit too much. Back your sizing die out 1/4 of a turn and see if the problem disappears.  :)

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
Try clambering a fired case, one that hasn't been sized. If it chambers fine, its in your die adjustment

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
My guess would be not enough shoulder bump. The advice above to check fired cases versus resized fired cases will give you some idea if it's the die settings, for sure, and is wise.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Thanx for the responses fellas. My thoughts were were similar to yours dubyam. All of you know more than me so I'll take all of your advice.
Don't have any fired cases that haven't been dozed so I'll have to wait till I fitre a few.

What I do have sized I bumped the shoulders back a lil farther so I'll see how they work.

Once again thanx Weatherby nation

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Dubyam is correct as usual. ;D I think that is your problem also. Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
Dubyam is right.  I ran into that problem years ago when I was loading some .338 Winchester Magnums, and it turned out the die backed out a tad and wasn't fully resizing the brass.  One thing other thing I remember was there was a very slight bump in the case body a little way up from the belt on the case and it was shiny. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »
Found the problem folks. Didn't have any fired brass so I just resized a few cases bumping the shoulders back a bit farther and loaded them up. They all chamber perfectly.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:49:52 PM »
Glad to hear you got it figured out, you got the right advice from some very experienced reloaders.
Doug