Spike Camp

.30-378 Wby Mag Mark V Accumark RC Review

.30-378 Wby Mag Mark V Accumark RC Review
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
I picked up a new Weatherby Mark V Accumark Range Certified chambered in .30-378 Weatherby Magnum this summer - wasn't looking for one, really only purchased it because it was on sale and in a relatively odd chambering.  Came with the Accubrake and a muzzle cover (do all .30-378's come with the Accubrake?).  I was pleasantly surprised to see that ammunition was readily available for reasonable prices (thank you, Nosler!), and picked up a few boxes of their 180 grain Accubond load.  I was relatively anxious when I pulled the trigger on the first cartridge, but was beyond surprised to find that neither the recoil or the muzzle blast was the lest bit offensive with the brake fitted (as perceived by me, the shooter; bystanders were not impressed).

I fitted a Burris Eliminator II to the gun and the 180 grain Accubonds are chrono'ing at approximately 3380 fps, making it easy to make first-shot hits on 8" targets to the 600 yards I've tried it.  The picture is from my shooting position during the opening weekend of this year's deer season - it's 1200 yards to the far treeline.  I passed up a few does at VERY short range, a single doe at 530 yards, and ended up taking a nice 9-point at 160 yards.  The wounding to the animal's vitals was impressive and was accompanied by a substantial amount of spray out the exit-side.

I have been very impressed with this newest series of Mark V's - the fit and finish is fantastic and the whole gun feels substantial and is attractive.  I guess my takeaway is that I'm shocked at how recoil-free the braked .30-378 is, especially when coupled with what is apparently a well designed muzzle brake that does not punish the shooter.  I realize that barrel life is less than ideal, and that ammunition costs are very high, but for a dedicated hunting rifle that's shot a few times/year to harvest animals I can't imagine a better setup.  I have a Vanguard Series 2 in .257 Wby Magnum that was my preferred longer-range deer rifle until I ended up with the .30-378, but it's not being used at all anymore, haha!

Re: .30-378 Wby Mag Mark V Accumark RC Review
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:07:31 PM »
Not using a 257Wby anymore that is blasphemy.Lol.The brakes are great.Glad you are enjoying your new rifle.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
Really cool, great looking gun. Glad you are digging it also. Where do you hunt? Any pics of your 9? What’s the story of your hunt/setup there? Welcome to the nation!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:53:19 PM »
That's a sweet set up, good luck with it.  And yes they come standard with the break.  One thing I'd suggest if wear ear plugs when you're hunting with it.  I have an Accumark in .338-378 and didn't wear ear plugs the first time I hunted with it and I thought I ruptured my ear drum when I shot it.  I had a stabbing pain for about a week and got lucky that it went away.  Since then I always wear at least an ear plug in my non-shooting side (left ear since I'm right handed) ear and no more problems with ringing ears.  It does take some getting use to for wearing one ear plug because everything sounds like it's on the side without the ear plug but I've taught myself to look to my left first whenever I hear something.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
Nice looking rifle and Welcome to the Nation!!! Another satisfied Weatherby owner, can't say I'm surprised!!  ;D
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
That's a sweet set up, good luck with it.  And yes they come standard with the break.  One thing I'd suggest if wear ear plugs when you're hunting with it.  I have an Accumark in .338-378 and didn't wear ear plugs the first time I hunted with it and I thought I ruptured my ear drum when I shot it.  I had a stabbing pain for about a week and got lucky that it went away.  Since then I always wear at least an ear plug in my non-shooting side (left ear since I'm right handed) ear and no more problems with ringing ears.  It does take some getting use to for wearing one ear plug because everything sounds like it's on the side without the ear plug but I've taught myself to look to my left first whenever I hear something.
Could not agree with you more. I once shot my 30/378 with no ear protection by mistake and I thought my head was going to explode. I tried the ear plug thing when hunting but just couldn't get use to it. I now hunt with no break. recoil is up there but managable.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
I hear you there, it took a while to get use to wearing one ear plug and lots of concentration to make myself look to my left as soon as I heard a sound.  I've been kicking around the idea of taking the break off but haven't given it serious thought.  I remember when I spoke with Weatherby about it they said taking the break off could cause the point of impact to shift one inch in any direction compared to the point of impact with it on.  I don't think the recoil would be too bad since I can shoot my .458 Winchester Magnum, which is in a Ruger M77 with the tang safety and decorative thin red recoil pad, in a tee-shirt and don't think it's very bad.  After fifteen shots I start noticing the recoil which is far more rounds than I'd fire hunting or on the range in a day since I like to take a few different guns to the range at a time. 

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
It's been about 3 or 4 yrs that I hunt without the brake. In my sight in before the hunt I don't find any measurable amount of POI. As far as the recoil, I own a 300 Win mag BSA Cf2 with a 24" barrel. It isn't that heavy of a rifle. When I load it with 200 gr Noslers to 2900 ft/sec I find the recoil comparable to my 30/378 with no break. Heavy but bearable.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »
I need to get the .257 back out and work up some loads for it - I was shooting the factory 100gr load, but the ballistic coefficient of that bullet is abysmal.  I have enough Speer 120 BTSPs to last me several lifetimes, so that will likely be what I play around with.  The bc for that is (maybe optimistic on their part) an impressive .480, which would let the .257 really reach out there.  I've had excellent performance with those out of my .257 Roberts, so I think the would work well out of the .257 at extended ranges.

I did the one earplug thing with the .30-378 after many negative experiences with braked-rifles, but the concussion felt by the shooter is very minimal, even compared to a 5.56 with a large brake. I'm very impressed with the whole package.  Anyone tried the 190 gr extended range Accubond? It seems like a hammer of a projectile out of the .30-378.

Here's the deer, he's a really weird one. Two main beams on one side, and a point sticking straight up out of his skull. So odd!

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
 Very cool deer.Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »
Interesting buck, congratulations!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 06:17:45 AM »
It's rather fitting that you christened your unique rifle with getting a unique buck.