Spike Camp

Help please, scope sighting in issue with my Weatherby

Help please, scope sighting in issue with my Weatherby
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:33:00 PM »
I have a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm and it has been my go to gun for years.  This past year I wanted to upgrade the scope on it.  I purchased a Leupold 4.5x14x50 Vari X 3 i.  I bought the one piece DNZ rings & base combination first and could not get the scope to 0 as it is running out of adjustment going up.  With bolt out at 25 yards bore is aligned with target but looking through scope it is low.  I recently tried another set of mounts this time Leupold and while it did help it is still a few inches off and has no more room to go up.  I called Leupolds tech line and they told me some guns you have to shim.  I've never had this issue with any other gun can someone help shed some light on what my issue might be?  I really don't think I should have shim it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:51:24 PM by SCHunter »

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Help please, scope sighting in issue with my Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
The issue is both of those companies use the same bases for the Mark V as they do for Rem700 bases, and you're running out of elevation because the scope is canted up about .025-.030". Do yourself a favor and order a set of Talley Lightweights for the Mark V 9-lug. You won't regret it.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
+1 to dubyam. You have the wrong bases. Most on this site use the Talley bases and rings. I just mounted a scope on a accumark and used Nightforce one piece base and Nightforce rings, worked fine.
Mike

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »
+2 on what dubyam said, I won't put anything but Talley 1 piece lightweights on my rifles now.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:03:56 AM »
How do DNZ and Leupold sell a product that requires work beyond installing it?   I hope I can get my money back for both as they are useless to me.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
I contacted Talley's customer service and they are sending me a set to see if they will work.  If this works then Talley it is from now on.  I will update you guys when I see if they work.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 03:43:16 AM »
Did it work out?   :)