Spike Camp

Return of the 284 Win

eford

• View Profile
Return of the 284 Win
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:59:05 AM »
With the long-range craze we're in, I will not be surprised to see the return of the 284 Win in a production rifle by a few of the big manufacturers. We know the 284 Win originally came out with a semi-auto rifle and commercially the cartridge was a basic flop. High BC factor bullets in .284 caliber are plentiful and the long-range craze isn't going anywhere, in my opinion.

The 45-70 Govt has had a resurgence of sorts due to new ammo with soft-tipped, pointed bullets and I see no reason why the 284 Win cannot come back. I know the SAMMI specifications for max pressure for the 284 Win would not likely be re-done. However, there is M-1 Garand-specific ammo (that is not the same as ordinary 30-06 Springfield loads) and 45-70 Govt loads are specific for newer rifles, such as the 1895 Marlins or the Ruger #1s. The Trapdoor Springfields aren't capable of the pressures the modern rifles can take.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Re: Return of the 284 Win
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
I agree. The 284 is being chamber in some production rifles now, just not the big name ones like you said

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:24:08 AM »
My Brother in law and nephew have a Browning BAR and a BLM both chambered in 284, maybe their rifles won't be obsolete after all. :)

That ammo is scarce in rural Saskatchewan :-\
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
The issue I see these days is brass availability. I almost bought a Browning A-Bolt in 284Win recently, but upon checling, couldn't find brass for it except from one source, backordered, and no loaded ammo in Stock anywhere at that time. Even at $450 for a nice A-Bolt Hunter, it wasn't a bargain, with no brass or loaded ammo available. That's an expensive paperweight.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »
Here is a link to a place that has some  https://www.bullets.com/products/-284-Winchester-Brass-Cases-100-Count/BL11927. Hope this helps.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
I've never seen a box of ammo on any shelf anywhere.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Sorry, Thought brass might help. However this link shows they have some Winchester 150 grain ammo left  http://macsreloading.com/inventory/frammo05.html

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
Gun broker has a list of ammo and brass.
Not saying it would be easy to get but if wanted it you could find it, and the more popular it gets in the long range matches the easier it will be

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »
Ruger and Hornady teamed up with the introduction of the rifles and ammo for the Ruger Compact Magnums and the 6.5mm Creedmoor and I think it will take another pairing of firearms manufacturing and ammo production to make it go. Shooter demand for the rifle doesn't mean anything if, like Dub pointed out, you can't get the ammo (or the brass). While wildcatters have been using the 284 as a parent case, you still need the dedicated ammo production to make a new or renewed cartridge take flight. Hope is not a plan.
So what is the 284 Win going to offer that the modern, non-magnum .284 calibers don't give you? If you want a .28 caliber rifle in a short-action with the most bang for your buck then the 284 Win is the way to go, according to Melvin Forbes. About a year or so ago he said the 284 Win is the most popular rifle made by his New Ultra Light Rifle company. These days it could be the 6.5mm Creedmoor-----I might just have to ask him.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 01:07:27 AM »
I always thought it was a terrific design, but by the time I was old enough and had the money, it was obsolete.  Same thing with the 6.5 Remington Magnum and the .350 Remington Magnum.  All three way ahead of their time.  But I have since acquired the two Remington's.  The wildcatters have worked the .284 case the full gamut, from .22 all the way up to I assume. 458, with the 6.5 version really being popular.  I hope the .284 makes a come back.  Wouldn't a version in .338 be a great addition in a short compact rifle.  MM

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 05:43:21 AM »
It's not a good design for short action use even with a 7mm bullet in it.Sure it works in lever guns with a blunt or round nose bullet,but when loaded short the bullet takes a lot of room in the case.Definately not with a 6.5mm bullet on the end.Just too long.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 06:24:29 AM »
OldChet, thanks for doing a little looking. I found the brass you linked when I was looking at the rifle, but at that time it was out of stock. This was a long while back, so the rifle is no longer on my radar.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:11 AM »
Theres probably too many other popular cartridges and too much interest in the current wave of new and improved (perceived) calibers, for the 284 Win. to make a big enough splash. I agree with eford, an ammo and firearm mfg. would have to take the plunge, and in the current market choice, might be risky? Who knows?   
DosEquisShooter

zonie

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »
I wouldn't be too terribly worried about ammo or brass,  a few of the bigger companies will only make one run a year on older or doesn't sell well brass .  Eventually it will turn up someplace  and then stock up considering you re-load or have someone else re-load for it.  I passed this year on a kind of a well worn Savage 99 in 284 price was good I just thought the rifle was a little too worn for my liking. 

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
I think the .284 is a dandy of a caliber and honestly I don't know why more people haven't taken to it.  I think it'll come back even if it's a niche caliber but there's lots of us out here who like the odd ball calibers.  Me especially with my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, and the .224 Weatherby Magnum to name a few.  These are great calibers and the people who understand their abilities love them for the most part.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.