Spike Camp

300Wtby bushing size

Cornholeo

300Wtby bushing size
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
Need neck size of a loaded round using Nosler and/or Weatherby brass or bushing size from someone reloading using Nosler and/or Weatherby brass.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:13:27 PM by Cornholeo »

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: 300Wtby bushing size
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
What you need is the neck size of a fired piece of brass from your chamber. Measurements from one rifle and brass aren't directly translatable to another. Do you have fired brass from your chamber?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Cornholeo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »
I do not have any fired brass from the rifle. I talked to Redding to verify and they said you do not need fired brass to figure neck bushing size. Several pieces of brass of the brand you will use and a seated bullet will let you get the necessary info.

ctw

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »
   what redding told you is correct. Measure outside neck diameter with your bullet seated with a good quality dial caliper, or digital caliper, and subtract .002and.003 thousands to achieve proper bushing size. Purchase both bushings and see which one gives you the desired neck tension. Most have experienced that the bushing that measured .003 under seems to end up being the optimum neck tension. After the case is sized, the case will have .001 thou. spring back. Sorry I havn't  commented early, but have been crazy busy around here with our Pa. deer season,and deer processing. best to you cornholeo   ctw     

Jay W

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat... But if I want to know which bushing to use in my rifle I first want to know my chamber size of my rifle which is why I would agree with Dubyam's method by using a spent case to take your measurements...

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
While I understand the OP's misunderstanding of my original post, he clearly missed my meaning. What you need is the flipping brass you're going to use, and measure a seated bullet in it, just as Redding said. But this bushing size is only good for that lot of brass and may or may not work with other brass should you purchase more downrange. It can be virgin brass, though I generally prefer to use once fired brass for any measuring, because it's far more consistent than virgin brass in terms of wall thicknesses, diameters, and the like.

Ultinately, I don't use bushing dies for hunting rifles, as field accuracy of 2MOA is plenty good enough to kill deer out to my personal limit of 500yds, and every one of my rifles will do under 1.2MOA without resorting to bushing sizing. If I started shooting out to 1000 or beyond (at targets) I'd consider bushing dies if I ran into problems with load precision.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie