Spike Camp

Miss Piggy

224KING

• View Profile
Miss Piggy
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »
Well with all the talk about the 6.5's I put my 240 up and grabbed my 6.5-284 this afternoon.Drove to the creek and parked my Ranger in the ditch.Walked up the county road to the gate going into the wheat field.I was trying to get there before the pigs,but they were already out in the field.About 30 of them from 7 pounds to 200 maybe.Crawled thru the open gate on my hands and knees.Pulled down the legs on the bipod.Evened the crosshairs up.One bipod leg had to be out a couple notches more than the other.Took a couple breaths and squeezed on the closest big sow.Dropped her big time.Ran on her side for maybe a minute.Walked back to the Ranger and drove to the gate.Zeroed the odometer and drove a 1/10th then stepped off the rest.245 yards.Really just a chip shot for the 6.5.I had my dial set on 300 so I hit a little high.Didn't think to put my Leica range finder in my pocket,so was without.Bullet is the Berger 140gr.ELD.The target bullet.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Re: Miss Piggy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:11:44 PM »
 ;D pork chops for you. Always nice to have a variety of meat in the freezer. Nice shooting!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »
Sorry about the crappy pics.My flip phone takes awful pictures.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:14:47 PM »
Left her lay.Not interested in eating feral pork.I know what they are eating.

Remember 10534

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
Ok. Here we pay to shoot the wild boar got from Russia years ago. They escape sometimes and it's open season on them and they are good eating.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
This season so far I haven't found any of their shit with hair in it,but it hasn't been that cold yet.I do know they are eating cow shit already.I've been feeding some round bales because the pastures here are starting to fade,and the pigs root around in the leftovers looking for seeds from the wheat hay.I've noticed that there is no cow shit in the trampled hay which the cows will lay plenty down while they are polishing off a 1400 pound bale.Later in the Winter you'll find hair in the pig turds cause they are eating road kill and such.They get so hungry they will eat anything.

Remember 10534

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
One less piggy to destroy pastures and fields.6.5-284 did its job.Good job.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
Can't tell in the picture, what make of rifle and scope. Looks like the target bullet did all right hitting it there

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
Looks like the Bergers are just fine for pig medicine, that’s a cool looking rifle too!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 09:17:21 PM »
HS Precision Pro 2000. Matte 4.5-14x40 Leupold with a dial matched to the load.Very light set up.Very thin 26 inch barrel that's fluted and it has a brake.Trigger is awesome.Clip fed Rem 700 action that has the 3 position safety of a Winchester 70.I think when I bought it the guarantee was it would shoot under 1/2 an inch.It likes a bunch of loads.As it gets more rounds down the barrel it's doesn't do what it did in the beginning group wise.It still shoots better than an inch though with how I have it loaded now.It used to shoot a big hole that sometimes you could tell it was 3 shots.

Remember 10534

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 06:49:49 AM »
Nice set-up. Bet its nice at the bench and to hunt with

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
Looks like it’s time to make some sausage
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »
Miss Blanca today and she appears to be pregnant.Had my range finder today too.266 yards.A lot bigger pig.No exit and after the shot put her down and spinning.She got up and ran into a big cactus about 65 yards away.Flounced in it then out.Layed over and was dead.In the last 2 days I've probably lowered the next year's pig population by at least a 100 pigs.That's why I'm picking on sows.

Remember 10534

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
2 in 2 days you must have a fair amount of them on your place

badsection

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
Love me some bacon! whoever told you hogs were clean critters lied!   ;D