Spike Camp

Miss Piggy

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Miss Piggy
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
There must be two herds.The most I've counted together is 55.I think there is one heard that has about 30 in it,and another with 25.Every once in a while their paths cross in this field.2 prominent creeks run together on my place and leave out the south end as one.The small fields along both,being low land,and the water is what draws them.Plus they hit everyone of my neighbor's and our corn feeders that we have out to draw the deer in.I'm going to see how many I can kill this month.Stay tuned.Numbers to be determined.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »
Do you think they are stupid enough to come out in the open again tomorrow evening in the same field?We'll see.I'll be there.I beat them there today and just sat down and leaned up against a big mesquite tree in the corner of the field and waited.

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 07:11:01 PM »
They will probably be there again Tom.Just depends if they are foraging and hitting different places.They are not real smart,can't see good,only smell you and leave if you don't hunt with the wind in your favor.That is why most hunt them because they are easy or they are going after one specific one they want.Unlike your case you are just trying to get rid of them.I shoot and trap them when they are destroying my neighbors property but pretty bored hunting them now because they are so easy if they are in an area.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:26:33 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »
They must have got the message.No show today.

Remember 10534

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »
Great going, 2x2 is not bad at all.  Keep killing them, maybe they'll move out to another place.

The ones here in GA must be smarter, they do not show up during the day, only at night.  >:(  We are trying to hunt them at my friend's property, but the hogs apparently never get the memo.  We'll keep trying.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
Tom, I have an Aunt that won't eat chicken(free ranging or otherwise)because she knows they eat their own feces. I think its odd, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that probably feel the same way about chickens and other animals. As far as hogs and what they eat, your right, they'll eat just about anything, plant or animal. Years back we shot a sow at last light that weighted about 150 pounds. We decided to leave it and knew that it wouldn't go to waste, as the coyotes scavenge and eat anything they can find, (and they find everything) and probably outnumbered the deer on the lease. Next day I walked about a mile to the deer blind and got there about an hour before first light. As it started to get light I heard grunting so I got the rifle ready. When I finally could see, four or five hogs were tearing into the sow(taking turns at at eating)and throwing the carcass around on the ground. 
DosEquisShooter

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 05:32:55 PM »
Busted a Duroc looking sow this evening at 297 ranged yards.I heard it pop her and she ran 15 yards and did a couple 360s and stirred the dust up so bad I didn't see where she went after that.I drove out to where this all happened and walked down into the draw by the wheatfield.Followed it to the creek,but never saw anymore of her.

Remember 10534

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
Find any blood?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
Sounds like she was hit good.Sure she will go off and die.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
No blood.

No piggies today either so I decided to go see what was coming to the feeder at my son's place.Evening before last I saw a huge 8pt and counted 50 deer in his front oat patch of 9.5 acres.Too late in the evening to shoot.This evening there were 44 in the 22 acre oats and turnip field that the feeder is on the edge of.Even saw a doe that was missing here left rear foot.Looked like she had lost about 4 or 5 inches of it.Thru my scope it looked healed over.I tried to take some pictures,but some are very poorly focused.My camera is auto focus.It's not my fault.The 2 yearlings might have been 12 yards away from my blind.As you can see the turnips are kicking butt.They are probably gonna choke oat my oats.

Remember 10534

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
I'm wondering if I can cut and bale turnip greens?I was hoping this field would make 25 to 30 bales of oat hay.I guess time will tell

Remember 10534

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
I'm wondering if I can cut and bale turnip greens?I was hoping this field would make 25 to 30 bales of oat hay.I guess time will tell

What's left when they dry down?

Graze it, less work. :) :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 06:43:24 AM »
There is no fencing around this place.Well really there is,but it's old,old,and a lot of it is on the ground under a couple inches of dirt.

The dried turnip greens won't hurt my cows,if they are in the hay bales,will they BigMuddy?

Remember 10534

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »
There is no fencing around this place.Well really there is,but it's old,old,and a lot of it is on the ground under a couple inches of dirt.

The dried turnip greens won't hurt my cows,if they are in the hay bales,will they BigMuddy?

They shouldn't hurt dried if they don't hurt green.
I was just thinking that they my dry and just go to powder but if you can bale at just the right moisture it should bulk up and make a bale.
Let us know how you make out with the crop.
Good luck with the pigs.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
The pigs,at least 50 of them,were in the big wheat field this evening.I hate to say it,but I missed on a big sow this evening.I didn't take my time.I hurried the shot because they were restless and started to leave the field and I just blew it.Didn't get a chance to range them and they were out at a guessed 325/330.Somewhere around that.

Remember 10534