Spike Camp

Simple rifles work well (Part II)

eford

• View Profile
Simple rifles work well (Part II)
« on: December 04, 2017, 02:23:23 AM »
The saga continues: The morning after the mulie buck fell, my boys were at it again. They went back to the same place, a true Honey Hole, and as they drove into the field they saw a herd of white tails in the distance. The fog might have helped conceal the silver-colored pickup as it came toward the deer. The boys stalked in a bit, then got into a good shooting position in the same field where they got the mule deer the previous evening. With one shot from another rifle with a 308 Win, this buck took a fast trip to the ground. It was 200 yards from where the mulie buck fell.
To get two, 10-point deer the same season in virtually the same place is hard to imagine. The Honey Hole is on private ground and the owner is sure to get jerky from this adventure.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:25:41 AM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Chris

• View Profile
Re: Simple rifles work well (Part II)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:00:02 AM »
Sounds like one heck of a honey hole
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:20:46 AM »
Congrats to the boys. Think I would give the landowner some backstrap and a bottle of Turkey 101 also.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
I'm still waiting for the GPS coordinates to this honey hole. ;D ;D ;D
Those are some VERY nice bucks.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:00:33 AM »
There is probably not a hunter here that would pass on either of those bucks.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
Thanks to all of you, gents.
The landowner will get jerky out of this for sure, maybe even summer sausage. My newly perfected bourbon jerky will have to wait until Iím back from the Arabian desert, and by then it will time to shed hunt.
The two species of deer are together at times through the summer, then break apart in Sept-Oct. Now if I can only get to the antelope.......

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
nice looking bucks  8)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
A honey hole indeed. There are countless people out there that have hunted or will hunt for years and years, some paying thousands of dollars every year to do so, who can only dream about ONE deer like that. What a deal for your sons! Congrats to them. Godspeed over there, your turn next!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
You certainly have a prime piece of land to hunt. I am sure you are grateful to be able to hunt it. Sharing these memories with your family is
priceless. That being said, your sons still had to stay calm, aim at a small part of those bucks, resist buck fever and squeeze the trigger. That doesnít happen by accident. Iím sure they have shot a great deal, seen many bucks and let them pass by waiting for a shooter. Just being lucky doesnít happen often with trophies like those two great bucks.
I also believe you are happier they shot them and not you. As a person gets older with many seasons behind them and shooting a few trophies, you really do get more satisfaction watching someone else take a beautiful animal. You taught those boys well. Kudos to you.
By the way, the whitetail your son shot, any idea what it scored? Even a rough estimate would be fine. It looks like a 170 class buck. Iíve shown the picture to several hunting buddies that I have coffee with in the morning and they have asked me to find out.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:28:33 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »
Wow Eric that is awesome. Mixed bag of 10 pointers same spot. Thats A dream spot.
Mark

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:14:23 AM »
Griz: The ratio of White tail deer to Mule deer is about 8 or 10:1 where I live. Not much further east and you're not going to find mulies in Kansas, but you also get into the areas where you'll find more White tail's. During the summer you can walk within 50 yards of the mulies if they're eating. They want to eat, not run. When I get back from this desert adventure I know I will start scounting again.
The drought of 2011 was bad where the boys took theses bucks. The young deer there  that survived the drought and its problems are now 6-7 years old. Since '11 have had lots of water, food and cover. What more do deer need to flourish, besides no hunting pressure or predators?  Last year, I saw one decent White tail buck during rifle season and he was on the run with a doe. Next year ought to be even better than this year, but by then my boys will be over here and I'll be in the States.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:32 AM »
Couple of great deer. I have seen some nice bucks pheasant hunting in kansas
Mike

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »
Thanks to all of you, gents.
The landowner will get jerky out of this for sure, maybe even summer sausage. My newly perfected bourbon jerky will have to wait until Iím back from the Arabian desert, and by then it will time to shed hunt.
The two species of deer are together at times through the summer, then break apart in Sept-Oct. Now if I can only get to the antelope.......

I plan to go after Antelope in September. When do you get back from the sand?
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
Chris: I will be Stateside in mid March. Scouting will begin soon for the next season.