Spike Camp

Vanguard youth question

Vanguard youth question
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
New here and also new to Weatherby even though I've been looking for a long time.
Anyway, I have a question regarding stocks. I have a youth model Vanguard 2 in .243, 20" barrel and #1 barrel profile. I'd like to put a full size stock on there without going custom. Will Weatherby's standard full size replacement stock work? Is it compatible with the youth model? Thanks

Re: Vanguard youth question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »
Yes sir, it is compatible.  I have the same gun in a Series 1 (also in .243) and the new griptonite stock with the short action, fit like a glove and, it shoots like a dream.

http://www.weatherby.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/vanguardr-griptoniter-stock.html

And, welcome to the nation.  drop by anytime just to snoop and see what folks are talking about.  You can pick up a little bit of knowledge most every time you log in.  We all wish you safe and happy hunting. 

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping. Another question for you since you have the same setup as I'm working towards. How is the accuracy with the #1 barrel? A better question may be how finicky is the thinner barrel in regards to ammo selection?

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »
The accuracy is top notch.  It is actually one of my wife's rifles and she can produce impressive targets with it when we go to the range.  As with any rifle, pay attention to barrel heat.  Take your time and allow your barrel to cool down after 3-4 rounds and you'll be okay and, the rounds won't start to stray. 

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:34 AM »
Thanks gabbott. You've been a huge help. I guess my biggest concern was whether or not I could get good accuracy out to 300 yrs or so with a 20" barrel in 243 with the #1 contour. I know the .243 can be a bit picky with these combos sometimes. It would be a hunting rifle as opposed to strictly a range gun.

I actually won the rifle in a raffle and it's still in the box. Didn't know whether to keep it and replace the stock or sell it and start over.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
Rogue, if you contact Weatherby, they may be able to provide a Vanguard Carbine stock, which is sold in full adult length (or was at one time) with exactly the same barreled action as your Youth model.

An alternate option is to contact Legacy International, the Howa importer, and purchase one of their Hogue stocks in adult length which they provide as a second stock on their youth combo guns.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
Dubyam offers a great alternative. Either way you go, I am certain you'll be satisfied with the solution. 
My wife actually killed her first buck with that rifle (when it still had the youth stock on it).  A doe was blocking the heart shot on the buck and she just would not move out of the way.  So, my wife shot him in the neck at 84 yards with Federal Vital-Shok 100gr partition. After replacing the stock, we cannot see any difference in accuracy and, we both have confidence in that firearm when we shoulder it. 

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 02:32:22 PM »
Thanks for all the input! I'll pick up an adult stock and enjoy!