Spike Camp

300 Wby Mk v

Joshgresham1

300 Wby Mk v
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:35:06 AM »
Anybody know anything about a left handed weatherby Mk V 300 wby mag? It appears to be a ultra light. I cannot get it to zero. I’ve used 150, 165 and 180 grain weatherby ammo. I believe it’s a Japanese rifle. Is it time for a new barrel?

224KING

• View Profile
Re: 300 Wby Mk v
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »
The barreled action appears to be Japan made,but the stock and the finish/coating on the metal is not original to the rifle.The inability of the rifle not being able to be zeroed is probably in the scope or the mounts.If you check the bases and rings out and put a different scope on and it still won't zero,then I would look at the lug screw torque.If the rifle is new to you,but used,I'd give it a good barrel scrubbing.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

Joshgresham1

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:47:02 AM »
I have checked everything you stated. I'm thinking its the pencil thin barrel. The coating is cerakote. Im going to scrub the barrel and give it one more try. After that i'll be letting it go.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:23 AM »
Is the barrel free floating? If it's a light barrel and free floating try putting something in the first couple inches of the stock to see if the pressure settles it down when you shot it.
Doug

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, I have owned 6 Wbys. with the #1 contour barrels and they shot anywhere from good to excellent so I dought if it is the size of the barrel.
John

Joshgresham1

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »
What grain ammo are you shooting?

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
I have checked everything you stated. I'm thinking its the pencil thin barrel. The coating is cerakote. Im going to scrub the barrel and give it one more try. After that i'll be letting it go.

You've swapped out to a known god scope and it won't shoot?

Beyond that, search these forums for "BTE regimen" and follow that. Be prepared for a ton of copper and for it to take a long time.

Check the crown for burrs and confirm the brake has a large enough bore for the .308cal to clear.

Beyond that, I'd ask when the cerakote was done, and if you had it done or bought it that way. It's possible theRe is a problem with the coating if it's gotten into the bore and made the surface uneven.

Finally, what is your zeroing process. What's your setup (rest/bags, etc.), where do you aim, what distance, and how much experience do you have with rifles which recoil at this level?

I highly doubt it's the pencil barrel. That might contribute to larger groups, but the lack of ability to zero isn't the barrel contour.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:52:17 AM »
"I highly doubt it's the pencil barrel. That might contribute to larger groups, but the lack of ability to zero isn't the barrel contour"

+1
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:02:13 AM »
I agree with what the others have told you to check. Like dubyam said, check the crown for burrs, and the muzzle brake for signs of the bullet touching the sides of it. I have seen more than a few, rifles, buggered up, after someone didn't do a good job installing the muzzle brake. Just curious, what size of groups is the rifle shooting?

Rob

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:03:47 AM »
"I highly doubt it's the pencil barrel. That might contribute to larger groups, but the lack of ability to zero isn't the barrel contour"

+1

+2