Weatherby loaded 140 grain Berger bullet in 6.5-300
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Has anyone tried them out yet?
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

badsection

Re: Weatherby loaded 140 grain Berger bullet in 6.5-300
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
I have used the Berger bullets on paper in other calibers. Great paper punchers, but I am not a fan of bullets designed to fragment as the Berger's are on game critters. JMO!   :)

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:30 PM »
I have used the Berger bullets on paper in other calibers. Great paper punchers, but I am not a fan of bullets designed to fragment as the Berger's are on game critters. JMO!   :)

+1  on not being a fan on their on game performance, there is a reason why I call them burger bullets.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
Sub moa at 3400+ fps.  I've bang flops with all Bergers. 

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:07:49 AM »
+2 on not being a fan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 06:18:33 AM »
115's in my .257, 140's in my 6.5-300, and 215's in my 300 wby.  Can't wait to try the 155's Bergers in the 6.5.  Dozens of animals taken, no tracking involved.  Currently using eldx's in the 6.5 because they are almost unbelievably accurate out of this factory rifle.

zonie

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
I've found the Bergers tend to be accurate with good load work-up.   For deer size and smaller thin skinned game I don't have a problem with Bergers or some of the other thin jacketed non bonded cup and core bullets, and while if hit center mass heart/lung area any of these can make spectacular one shot kills even on larger animals,  BUT and this is a big BUT,  a bad  hit especially a large animal any of these bullets can and do come apart,  that's what Bergers are made to do come apart.  If that's what you need then it's a good thing,  if that's what you don't need that's a bad thing.  I flat won't use them on elk or larger I want a bullet to drive deep braking everything in it's path.  A point could be made given enough bullet weight any bullet can work just  look at pure lead muzzle loader bullets they can drive deep and do a lot of damage, same could be said using a 300 /350 grain thinner jacketed pure lead core bullet in a 458 win mag it will definitely drop any elk at closer ranges that's just the nature of this type of bullet,  big, heavy weight  and ballistically challenged.  Small dia,  lightweight,  super velocity,  cup and core bullets tends to stress bullet design,  that's just a plain fact.  The biggest problem is there is no perfect bullet for all circumstances and conditions.  The good thing is bullets today are many brands /  better designed and construction.  This may sound a little weird I shoot many different calibers and for the most part  ( there are exceptions ) I tend to choose a hunting bullet regardless of caliber for the heaviest / toughest  game animal that I will use that rifle on,  i.e. 270 win loaded with 150 grainers I will use for elk and deer.  300 wby 180 grain frontier Spartans for deer/ elk / African plains game.  Of course there are other calibers we hunt with and the same goes for each.  Varmit rifles and match rifles are a different subject. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:05:31 AM by zonie »

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »
I've found the Bergers tend to be accurate with good load work-up.   For deer size and smaller thin skinned game I don't have a problem with Bergers or some of the other thin jacketed non bonded cup and core bullets, and while if hit center mass heart/lung area any of these can make spectacular one shot kills even on larger animals,  BUT and this is a big BUT,  a bad  hit especially a large animal any of these bullets can and do come apart,  that's what Bergers are made to do come apart.  If that's what you need then it's a good thing,  if that's what you don't need that's a bad thing.  I flat won't use them on elk or larger I want a bullet to drive deep braking everything in it's path.  A point could be made given enough bullet weight any bullet can work just  look at pure lead muzzle loader bullets they can drive deep and do a lot of damage, same could be said using a 300 /350 grain thinner jacketed pure lead core bullet in a 458 win mag it will definitely drop any elk at closer ranges that's just the nature of this type of bullet,  big, heavy weight  and ballistically challenged.  Small dia  lightweight super velocity cup and core bullets tends to stress bullet design,  that's just a plain fact.

Different stokes for different folks.  I rarely get a shot opportunity of less than 300 yds and wouldn't use my .257 for elk when I have a 300 in the safe.  That being said I have been in a lot more tracking situations with bullets like the ttsx than with bergers.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
+ 4 on not a fan of "Burgers"
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »
The 257 wby will surely kill the biggest bulls if hit right,  I've used it before using a Nosler 110 gr accubond, and while not my favorite on elk in the right hands and good shot placement it will get the job done @ some fairly longer ranges,   a good friend took a very nice 385 bull with a 257 wby @ 400 yds using a Barnes 100 grain ttsx and the bullet blew right thru and exited lung shot.  I seen Indians down on the Apache res carrying sks's on elk hunts it wouldn't be my favorite but they use what they own.  This last week my son went with friends down the road and they got 2 bulls @ 496 yds 7mm stw.  Other friends I just talked to today got  5x6 and 6x6 @ 60 yds with 300 ultra mag.  None of them use Bergers. These guy's either guide, own mules, or hard core elk hunters as most of our friends are.   I tracked a rag horn  bull one time  I shot right at dusk the evening before solid hit 270 win 150 grain Nosler Partition ,maybe 60 yds facing me head on.  The bull had been in a wallow and the dried mud and small pea gravel and cinders were  caked on the front of his chest , when I hit him dead center all I seen was the mud flying and a sharp whack from the bullet impact,   we were out pretty much  all night tracking that elk with flashlights,  I found him about 7 am the next morning laying up under a tree still quite alive but not wanting to stand up , so I finished him off with  neck shot.  That partition came completely apart from the caked on mud /gravel.  Years before I was playing with lesser constructed cup and core bullets and had some rather disappointing results at close  range elk 50 /60 yds,  perfect shot  completely knocked the elk off it's  feet ,  then it got up faster than you can believe, and off to the races we went 800 ft elevation drop  down a canyon the last 40 ft was vertical,  and it took 2000 ft of 3/16 th's stainless cable and snatch blocks to get to the elk,    luckily we had 5 - 1000 ft rolls of cable in the trucks we could if needed clamp together  because we knew the area .   So my idea is to drop an elk as fast as you can especially when you are in a rough mtn /canyon area.  Seems like every year I tell these guy's shoot them till they drop then one of us still gets a phone call ,  can you guy's come help !  That's why I carry 2 pack frames in the Bronco along with other equipment.  I told my kids a long time ago ( they are all adults now )  you shoot that elk down in that deep canyon it better be a 400 class bull because the fun just stopped.   My wife broke her ankle a year ago this Nov helping pack my son's bull elk out, after recent surgery it will be another year before she will hopefully be up and running so we will most likely modify our hunting strategy and try to shoot elk closer to easier access.       
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:58:26 PM by zonie »