Spike Camp

.223 Rem S2 Vanguard Range Report

CJB

.223 Rem S2 Vanguard Range Report
« on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Hi all,

I had posted last month asking about recommended ammo to try in my LNIB S2 Vanguard in .223 Rem.   Well today I finally got it out to the range.  The rifle is one of the older 1:12 twist barrel S2's which had originally caused me some concern since I want to use it for shooting out to 500 yds.  Today we got it bore sighted with the Nikon Prostaff 4-12 scope and began shooting at 100 yds with different types of ammo.  Long story short, the rifle performed best with Hornady 40 grain V-Max.  I didn't measure the group but my target pasters were one inch squares and it managed 3 shots touching with that load.  It also shot some Fed 55 grain SP's into less than an inch.  Nothing I put through it did horrible.

Function was perfect and the trigger is simply excellent.  I much prefer the two-stage set up to the more common Remington type trigger. Recoil was also very soft as I'd hoped since I want this to be the rifle my boy's move up to from 22 RF.  All in all, I am very pleased as this is my first experience with Weatherby / Howa.  Is it better than my only other hunting rifle, a CZ550 Premium in .270 Win?...Don't know yet...that one will be very tough to beat, but this Vanguard seems to be just what I was hoping for Range fun and training.

BB340

• View Profile
Re: .223 Rem S2 Vanguard Range Report
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »
Sounds like you have a winning set up right there.
Aussie gun nut.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
Glad to hear your boys will have an accurate rifle to learn to shoot with. 
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

CJB

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Glad to hear your boys will have an accurate rifle to learn to shoot with.

I think the weight and that big cushy recoil pad are going to do wonders for avoiding flinch.

CJB

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
Okay here's anotherr update for those interested.

Took it to the range again last Thursday with some different ammo.  Midway had a good price on Fiocci 50 V-Max so tried that along with some Hornady 55 gr V-max.  The Fiocchi was a real surprise!  Had a five shot group with the HNDY measuring 5/8" with another 3-shot group of 1/2".  The Fiocchi turned in 3 shot groups of 3/8" and 1/4".  All groups were measured with a ruler so probably not as exact as a caliper...but still...I'm happy with the results. 

The rifle does require keeping the barrel relatively cool though.  I fired some faster rate groups and they opened up to over an inch.  Could have been barrel heat, the gusting winds or me.

Hopefully, next week I will get a chance to run it out to 2 & 300 yards.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:34:11 PM by CJB »

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Congrats.Sounds like you have a real shooter.I have also had good luck with Fiocchi ammo in several calibers .They are a little dirty when shooting but no big deal.As long as you are just target and varmint shooting the 50 Vmax should serve you well at a very good price in the 50 round boxes.Cabelas has a good sale on them now but they can be found even cheaper at Ammograb.com .
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »
cjb
I have one set up like yours, also use Fiocci 50 V-Max in it , deadly on coyotes, haven't had to shoot them more than once out to around 300 yd.  It's really a good combo. You will be happy with it.

CJB

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
cjb
I have one set up like yours, also use Fiocci 50 V-Max in it , deadly on coyotes, haven't had to shoot them more than once out to around 300 yd.  It's really a good combo. You will be happy with it.

Really?  How do you mean set up like mine?  Same scope, 1:12 twist barrel...etc?