Weatherby Vanguard S2 Banshee

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Weatherby Vanguard S2 Banshee
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 07:00:20 AM »
There is nothing out of a 270 Win that is fur friendly
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
The 270 is both a great large and small caliber round, but you won't find any loads that will be pelt friendly on yotes at "all distances" that yotes may show up at. Although the accubonds (monos) are designed to penetrate deep, hold together, and exit, the coyote is little resistance in size, weight and make-up for that bullet to affect a small exit hole. Its also an expensive proposition to shoot coyotes with premium ammunition for a living. Some may say they've done it, but what I'm saying is you won't do it consistantly with a 270 at "all distances". FMJ's will more often cause wounding and possible ricochets. Another possibility is head and neck shots, but could also cause wounding. If your a hand loader, you may be able to find a happy medium between bullet weight and powder combination that may be effective, but would most likely be time consuming to find an all around load.(Your better off investing in a varmint caliber to do the job right.) I don't know enough about cast bullets to give an opinion on them and possible usage. Again some suggested loads may be better than others, but consistency in pelt saving will be hard to do with a 270.   
DosEquisShooter

j_pastrana

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
The 270 is both a great large and small caliber round, but you won't find any loads that will be pelt friendly on yotes at "all distances" that yotes may show up at. Although the accubonds (monos) are designed to penetrate deep, hold together, and exit, the coyote is little resistance in size, weight and make-up for that bullet to affect a small exit hole. Its also an expensive proposition to shoot coyotes with premium ammunition for a living. Some may say they've done it, but what I'm saying is you won't do it consistantly with a 270 at "all distances". FMJ's will more often cause wounding and possible ricochets. Another possibility is head and neck shots, but could also cause wounding. If your a hand loader, you may be able to find a happy medium between bullet weight and powder combination that may be effective, but would most likely be time consuming to find an all around load.(Your better off investing in a varmint caliber to do the job right.) I don't know enough about cast bullets to give an opinion on them and possible usage. Again some suggested loads may be better than others, but consistency in pelt saving will be hard to do with a 270.   

Thanks for your response, with all the info gatered I think I’m going to be taking my .223 with my on my trips also 👍🏼

Thanks!

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »

Thanks for your response, with all the info gatered I think I’m going to be taking my .223 with my on my trips also 👍🏼

Thanks!
[/quote

Absolutely yes, if you have a 223 and are worried about fur, it is 100% the way to go as opposed to a .270
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »
Sorry if my earlier comments confused. For some reason I started working under the assumption tou were looking for the .270 be be your do it all/only rifle. I was just trying to point you towards something that might be easier on the yotes than a ballistic tip or some such. I’m always of the opinion that if you only have one rifle but it still ethically kills your intended quarry, by all means choose the best ammo available and go hunting! That’s why we buy the things to begin with!

As far as the Nosler Accubond on bigger game, i.e., deer and pigs, I think it is a superb round for that. I currently run Accubonds in both my 257Wbys and my 270WSM and have taken a lot of deer and pigs with all 3. I think you get some of the best of both schools of thought with the Accubonds. It is a bonded bullet that will retain 60-70% of its weight for good penetration and provide an exit hole, and it will dump 30-40% of its weight in the animal.

Whatever you choose, good luck and post some pics!

j_pastrana

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
Sorry if my earlier comments confused. For some reason I started working under the assumption tou were looking for the .270 be be your do it all/only rifle. I was just trying to point you towards something that might be easier on the yotes than a ballistic tip or some such. I’m always of the opinion that if you only have one rifle but it still ethically kills your intended quarry, by all means choose the best ammo available and go hunting! That’s why we buy the things to begin with!

As far as the Nosler Accubond on bigger game, i.e., deer and pigs, I think it is a superb round for that. I currently run Accubonds in both my 257Wbys and my 270WSM and have taken a lot of deer and pigs with all 3. I think you get some of the best of both schools of thought with the Accubonds. It is a bonded bullet that will retain 60-70% of its weight for good penetration and provide an exit hole, and it will dump 30-40% of its weight in the animal.

Whatever you choose, good luck and post some pics!

All your responses have been very informative and helpfull, thank you!

My rifle is delay due to all the UPS overload for this hollydays, It should be in my posesion I think on Monday or tuesday, I will upload pictures of the rifle as soon as it gets here.. and two days later pictures with Leupold mounted. I hope to hace evrything ready for next weekend hunt! Of not Im going to need to take my old 30-06 (not complaining it has been performing flawlesly).

Merry christmas and wait for pictures soon!

j_pastrana

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »
Here are some pictures of the rifle.

will upload more as soon as I get the scope mounted.  ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
Good looking gun! Mount that Leupold and do work... don’t forget to post some pics of what you take with it on the Nation and also your next WBY...(there will almost certainly be another 1 or 2 or 3... ;D ;D)   

Edit** forgot to mention, post over in “Around the Campfire” for general stuff... it is probably the most used board on the site.... and if I forgot, Welcome to The Nation!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:11:01 PM by DW5 »

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 06:56:30 AM »
I love the Kryptek camo pattern stock!
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
That is a good looking rifle. I'd like to see the barrel a little closer. Possibly pictures from back of scope to the crown of the barrel.Should be a beaut.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:50:02 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 11:57:05 AM »
That is a good looking rifle. I'd like to see the barrel a little closer. Possibly pictures from back of scope to the crown of the barrel.Should be a beaut.

That didn't come out exactly like I meant. From the bolt side, to show how the scope sits over the action and going forward to the crown of the barrel to see what the barrel color looks like next to the forend.
DosEquisShooter

j_pastrana

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

That didn't come out exactly like I meant. From the bolt side, to show how the scope sits over the action and going forward to the crown of the barrel to see what the barrel color looks like next to the forend.

I will upload some new pictures today, with the scope mounted and sling. Hope to hear comments of you’ll

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
Wow (drooling), that is one good looking rifle!  I like that Kryptek camo pattern. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

j_pastrana

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »
Here are some pictures with scope mounted, the bi-pod is only for the pictures will not be part of the set up.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 06:39:09 PM »
Wow, well done, congrats!!!! let us know how it shoots.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".