Spike Camp

didn't get my elk this year

didn't get my elk this year
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
I got drawn in a new zone this year, good looking elk country, but I didn't get an elk. In the early season, I only had time to go hunting for a few hours, with the oilpatch picking out after 3 years dead, and harvest time on the ranch. I got a few days in the late season to hate, but seen only a few cows. In this new zone there is 2 good herds of elk, one being on the edge of native land(only native hunting allowed). This year, that herd never did come off that native lands onto the farmlands, so no one had access to them. The other herd stays around a block of land that the owner's are wildlife members, and don't allow no hunting. My dad got a 5x5, opening day of early season,just off that block of land, on land he had permission to hunt on. After the landowner helped him load the elk, in the truck, dad and the landowner got harassed by these wildlife members on the road. They was pissed off, one of the elk was off their land and got shot. When I was there in the late season, all the land around that block of no hunting land had a lot of snowmobile tracks on it. I talked to a few local hunter's there, and they are said, those wildlife members, snowmobiled there everyday, just to keep the elk on their land. But I still had good time just being out hunting  8)

Rob

ctw

Re: didn't get my elk this year
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
   Do you mean bunny huggers; what the heck, thats to bad. ctw

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
Glad your Dad got an elk. Its to bad you didn't, and you both had to put up with this type of thing. Its sad but you hear more and more about this happening.

Good to see you still had a good time enjoying your time out hunting

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
Not sure where you're located, but a lot of states have laws against herding wildlife like that, and you might let the game enforcement officer know of this practice. There are also laws about hunter harassment, like your dad endured.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
they have laws like that here in Saskatchewan also, but my dad is an old school cowboy, he don't believe to much in getting the law involved. In his younger years, he would have been throwing punches.  ::)  but I bet they learned some new swear words on the road that day.  ;D  These wildlife members are not tree hugger's, they just think that herd of elk is for them and their other wildlife member friends to hunt(including the dnr officer's family). They have approx.  10,000 acre's there, so unless someone video them herding elk back to their land, it's hard to prove. And it don't take much pressure for elk to stay where it's quiet. The rest of the landowners in the area, want to see some of the elk taken, because later on in winter, those elk move out to their places and damage their hay and grainbags.  I cleaned and oiled the old 300 Wby this morning and put it back in the safe until next time.  8)

Rob

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »
No moose or deer hunting?

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
That stinks, glad you still enjoyed your time afield. We have kind of the same problem with Lake Associations passing rules to shut down lake accesses and to keep others off their lakes.
Doug

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »

I didn't have time for any moose or deer hunting this year. This oilfield work my company got, is in a very remote, fly in only camp, 14 days on, 7 days off, and on days off I catch up some work around home. If we get this job done on time, the bonus will fund me an 3 week African buffalo/plains game hunt  8) 

Rob

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »
Sounds like the wildlife members are in the Walburg area. Is that near the Bronson forest?

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »

NICE, do you have your rifles picked out for the trip? Looks like you have a couple to choose from 😎

I didn't have time for any moose or deer hunting this year. This oilfield work my company got, is in a very remote, fly in only camp, 14 days on, 7 days off, and on days off I catch up some work around home. If we get this job done on time, the bonus will fund me an 3 week African buffalo/plains game hunt  8) 

Rob

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
Over the years I've hunted places like that here in Texas. Its not uncommon for property owners of outfitting operations to have fence runners that start early in the morning and during evening hunts. They stay on their side of the property, but drive along making noise and disrupting the morning silence while putting the game on edge on both sides of the fence. Its not ethical, but they don't want their high dollar game jumping the fences and getting shot by a day hunter on the other side that is only paying $500 a day + trophy fee if applicable. I've seen trophy Axis and trophy goats taken on day hunt ranches when those animals did manage to escape the high fence outfitter ranches. I've also heard of elk being taken on these day hunt ranches. Oh well ;)

DosEquisShooter

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
northern hunter, no, this wasn't in the St. Walburg/Bronson forest area, but I know of many people over the years, having problems with the wildlife members your talking about.

257, I haven't decided on anything yet, I need to get the job done first, to get the bonus  :D , but I think I will be alright with the rifles I have now,  ::)  when I do get something plan. An African hunt been on my bucket list for years now.

danno50, you can understand on those exotic game ranches, that they don't want the their animals off their property. But in the zone I was drawn in outfitting of big game is not allowed on private land(except natives on native land). In Saskatchewan, landowners don't own the wildlife. All wildlife belongs to the crown(ie government, ie queen of England), but these wildlife members think this herd of elk is their's, that's what's causing the problems in that area with the other landowners.

Rob