Spike Camp

long range shooting

long range shooting
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »
I watch gunwerks show about working with a long range rifle.now, they shoot the rifle for a few days to see how it shoots at 200 yards for impack shift of the first shot.the groups our about 1/2 moa at 200 yards .this is used for shots out to 1000 yards on big game .do any of you do this with your weatherby rifles.my 300 weatherby has a #2 barrel and will put 3 shots of hand loads in 1/2 in at 100 yards.i am going to see if the rifle will stay this way in cold bore 1 shot on 1 day and not move for a cold bore shot over say 3 days to prove it can hit a deer out to 800 yards .
gary b

Re: long range shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »
I sight in my hunting rifles like that, shooting a 5 shot group 1 shot a day for 5 days.
But l don't feel that is going to tell me what it is going to do at 800 yards.
There are many variables that affect your group at 800 yards

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 08:05:01 PM »
I put a 400 yard self imposed limit on my shots at big game (might stretch that if every condition of the shot was perfect but even then it wouldn’t be much further than 400). But, if I was gonna shoot further I would put extensive practice in at that distance and learn what my rifle, along with myself as the shooter, did at that particular range from my practice.

I have absolutely no problems with other more capable shots than me stretching their limits to whatever is ethical for their ability. I just don’t get the opportunity to shoot much past 400-450 yards enough to feel “field comfortable” at those distances.

I also practice a “get as close as I possibly can” general rule while hunting.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »
Not to be mean but keep in mind this is what they showed you but only God and themselves know what they didn't show you.  When you're playing the shoot far game there's a lot more to it than just making adding a few clicks up, aiming the rifle, and sending the bullet.  You need to do a lot of figuring beyond the distance.  You need to factor in the wind (which maybe left to right at 200 yards but at 550 it turns into a head wind and then at 700 it turns back to left to right), thermals, your elevation, position on the earth, and the angle of the shot just to name a few.  Until you cross the 300 yard line you don't have to worry about the wind but after that it becomes a factor.  Also keep in mind those guys are using top end Nightforce scopes that cost more than most people spend on rifles and they shoot a lot, far more than the average hunter.  They're right the most important shot is the cold bore shot but you also need to shoot multiple shot groups to see if the load you're using is any good at that distance.  And one other thing to keep in mind is just because your load shoots sub-moa at 200 yards doesn't mean it's going to do the same at 1,000.   
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 11:57:44 PM »
Everything Chris stated is right. (Good job, Chris)
A cold bore shot from a dirty barrel is much more likely to end up where you want it than from a clean barrel. since most hunters don't get a shot and then a follow-up at the game animal standing still for your ease of aiming, you have to have confidence that cold bore shot is going where you want it. A good cold bore shot has a lot to do with how much you know about that load under the same conditions as what you practiced with.

Practice A LOT at the distance you're likely to need. Don't use a bench since you won't have one when you're hunting deer. Shoot in the position(s) you're likely to need when hunting, which for me is the prone with a bipod or sitting on my butt with sticks in front of me. 
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »
The last replies are spot on. You must shoot at distances and conditions you expect to hunt. 100 yard or 200 yard groups are indicative of accuracy potential but will never be exactly duplicated in the field. There are many variables. A good rangefinder is a must. You must know the distance EXACTLY. Then you have to know exactly how to compensate. The wind is a huge factor at distance. I like to practice by placing a target at a random distance. I range, measure wind, then adjust. That doesn't take into account one of the biggest variables; the shooter.

Have fun and good luck.