Spike Camp

Help me choose

Help me choose
« on: December 25, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
Currently own 10 long guns with scopes. Own a vanguard in.223 and .243 and they shhot great. In the market for a new .270 win for large whitetail in South Texas. Trying to decide between the wilderness, accuguard or weathermark. Like the idea of the weather protection and the composite stock. The Mark V is about $500 more but have read the trigger, barrel and action is worth it.

Own enough guns and enjoy shooting them all during the off season and rotate them around during the season.

We hunt in blinds so the extra 1/2 to 1 lb extra weight of the accuguard is not a concern.

All of my guns shoot about 2 groups at 200 yards or they get traded or sold. That is as good as my 65 year old eyes can shoot.

Which of the 3 guns above would you opt for in 270 Win and why?

Thanks and Merry Xmas!!!

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Help me choose
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
I have a wilderness and a Weathermark. I also do a lot of blind hunting in TX, Id go with the Weathermark 10 times out of 10 for the blind. Ive never shot an accuguard but I do own a few Vanguards, they are all great shooters. You cant rally go wrong with any of your choices, but considering you are blind hunting, Id choose one of the heavier rifles. And if you dont mind spending the extra scratch, Id get the Mark V.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:15:34 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
I would go with the WeatherMark 270 Win 6.25 lbs and Talley Lightweights and a VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm tube and your at  7.5 lbs and thats an ideal weight for a Hunting rifle,

with the Weatherby stock design I find for me its the most comfortable rifle to shoulder it just fits me like a glove not to mention one of the nicest action on a rifle you encounter, everyone should own a Mark V rifle !

Now if we can just convince Adam Weatherby to chamber the ULW in the 280AI I would be on the phone tomorrow ordering one !

Merry Christmas
Maple Ridge,BC, Canada and when I can as many days as possible at our family cabin on Loon Lake,BC

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 04:42:33 PM »
Thanks to all. The Weathermark 270 comes with a #1 contour barrel. Should one be concerned with such a skinny barrel? Not sure I want to spend the extra $500 for the Mark V. The accuguard comes with a #3 barrel and is listed as 8 lbs.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »
I have an Accuguard in 257 Weatherby and I Love it, it's a very accurate rifle. But I Love my ULW Mark V in 6.5-300 even better, even with the skinny barrel. I have 2-270 Win. rifles and there great whitetail killers, but not nearly as good as my 257 Weatherbys. The Mark V is worth the extra money, if you can't decide flip a coin there all great choices.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
Unless your heart is set on the .270win (and if it is I get it, it is a wonderful cartridge) you might take a look at the 257WBY in the Weathermark, comes #2 contour barrel and had an extra pound and a half over all.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks to all for your info. I am more fond of the Vanguard action and price tag. I know the Mark V has a strong history and a loyal base but after handling several at collectors firearms I can not justify the price difference. I know the Vanqyards are solid and shoot well so I am leaning towards the accuguard with #3 contour in 270 win. Thanks!