Spike Camp

New to the board, about to buy a Vanguard S2 Varmint .308

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
New to the board, about to buy a Vanguard S2 Varmint .308
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »
Ok, so I'm not new to Weathersby's as I inherited two of my fathers Mark V's when he passed. It seems all of my bolt guns are just to darn pretty to take out in the Florida weather for hunting so I am looking at a Vanguard Varmint in .308. The weight ( looks like it will come in at about 9.5-9.7 with rings and scope ) should not bother me as my hike is not all the far and of course we don't have mountains....LOL Sadly I can't find any info on the rifle other than it's a 22" barrel and a #3 contour if I had to guess.( from the pictures it looks like a cross between a sporter and heavy ) Not even on Howa's site.

Looks like the model is VBV308NR20. The stock looks like the H-BAR being black and gray. Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.
My father always said " Good enough don't cut it, make it perfect or don't do it " RIP Marine

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
Re: New to the board, about to buy a Vanguard S2 Varmint .308
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
Never mind folks, I think I found my answers
Mfg. 2012-2014
22" #3 contour
8.75 lbs

Might be a bit of a beast to hump a 10lb rifle but the weight will help with recoil.
My father always said " Good enough don't cut it, make it perfect or don't do it " RIP Marine

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!! That should be a pretty tame cartridge in that rifle, kicks like hell in my Encore pistol.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:13:07 AM »
Tame is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Between bad elbows and shoulder from being a competition archer most of my life recoil is something I need to avoid. I went out last Friday and shot my good ole S&W ( Howa ) 1500 in 30-06 and after three rounds I was done. I was even considering .243 but I think 308 or 270 is going to more than adequate for Florida game. The thought of even thinking about shooting one of the Mark V's is enough to make me want a couple shots of bourbon to numb the pain....LOL. As my doctor would say, you just have to accept the fact you are not a young guy and you have punished your body long enough.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Tame is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Between bad elbows and shoulder from being a competition archer most of my life recoil is something I need to avoid. I went out last Friday and shot my good ole S&W ( Howa ) 1500 in 30-06 and after three rounds I was done. I was even considering .243 but I think 308 or 270 is going to more than adequate for Florida game. The thought of even thinking about shooting one of the Mark V's is enough to make me want a couple shots of bourbon to numb the pain....LOL. As my doctor would say, you just have to accept the fact you are not a young guy and you have punished your body long enough.

Check out the Accumark in 308win if you donít mind spending a bit more and weight is a consideration.... rifle alone comes in 7 and 1/4...and then you have a Mark V... but, I also donít believe you can go wrong with a Vanguard, sometimes they probably fit the bill even better than the MKV :)  :)
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:49:05 AM »
I was even considering .243 but I think 308 or 270 is going to more than adequate for Florida game. The thought of even thinking about shooting one of the Mark V's is enough to make me want a couple shots of bourbon to numb the pain....LOL. As my doctor would say, you just have to accept the fact you are not a young guy and you have punished your body long enough.
Since your post includes possibly a 270, a slightly more expensive Vanguard(by about $400 in the Vanguard line) in an Accuguard is another option. Unfortunately in an Accuguard, it doesn't come in 308. However in 270, it has a #3 contour, comes in stainless steel, spiderweb accent stock, aluminum bedded, and weighs 8 lbs. It is a 24" barrel though? IMO, the Accuguard in 270 would cover all the bases, and with three bullet weights would be all the versatility you need.Again JMO
DosEquisShooter

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
I went ahead and ordered the Vanguard S2 Varmint Special off gbroker, NIB for 379.00 including shipping. It's a .308 which is good as I have plenty of different ammo ranging from 150-168gr. I have a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40 sitting around so I am going to put it to use. I just need to figure out what rings and bases to use. Hopefully the question has been asked on here and answered so I will do a search.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 11:01:23 AM »
For the money, Talley Lightweights are your best option.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
For the money, Talley Lightweights are your best option.
Excellent suggestion!
DosEquisShooter

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »
Ha ! I came to the same conclusion after posting. I called Talley and the guy was VERY helpful. For my #3 contour he suggested the medium, 940734 part number.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 04:02:14 PM »
Welcome to the Nation!  You will not regret putting Talley mounts on your rifle.  That is what most of us use, and we have no complaints.

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 09:52:24 AM »
I picked up my new rifle today, oddly enough right after I ordered the Vanguard I got a weekly email from cdnn and they had the Winchester XPR on sale for 299.00 with a 100.00 rebate so I ordered one in .270 and picked them both up at the same time. Since they both play in the same sandbox I think it's a pretty good comparison and the initial quality is VERY VERY clear. Vanguard for the win in a huge way. The action is smooth, lock up you can feel is just better to me. Fit and finish is better. Not beating up the XPR because I do like the 60deg bolt on it but it just does not " feel " the same to me. Guess we will see at the range next weekend after I mount, lap the rings and install the scope's.

I can say the new trigger is very different from my old 1500's

mrbruce38

• Sua Sponte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Ok, I know it's been a little bit but I wanted to update the thread. I finally got around to mounting the scope and a few range sessions. This thing is an absolute tack driver, the very first three rounds down the pipe produced a 1.5 MOA group. I followed the break in and by the fourth 3 round group it was printing consistent 1" using PMC X-Tac 168gr Match. I have ordered a few different boxes to see what it's true range is or if it will improve even more with 150 or 175 gr.

I can say this though. The .308 labeled PPU 168gr match will not even chamber. The Federal Non-Typical 150gr is fairly tight going in. After shooting it feels just like it was 7.62X51 trying to get the bolt opened My Win M70 does this this as well when I inadvertently grabbed some at the range one day in years past )  The PMC glides in like butter without any issue.

I have some federal blue box and gold metal match on order so I guess we will see what happens. Either I have an extremely tight chamber or the two cartages above are out of spec.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
My Howa has a 20Ē #6 contour barrel and has very little recoil. Shoots the Federal 150 grain SPís pretty good as well as the 175 grain SMKís from various factory loads.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
The Federal Fusion in 150 gr. soft points are right at .5 moa in my grandsons 308, however its a #2 contour with a 24" barrel. I believe they're worth a try and Walmart carries the Federal Fusion for about $22 bucks. Good luck
DosEquisShooter